Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Tried Adding Synaptics Support Back To GNOME's Mutter

Phoronix: Ubuntu Tried Adding Synaptics Support Back To GNOME's Mutter

GNOME developers previously dropped support for Synaptics and other input drivers from Mutter in favor of the universal libinput stack that is also Wayland-friendly. Canonical developers tried to get Synaptics support on X11 added back into Mutter but it looks clear now that was rejected...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While libinput is generally great, for touchpads it's a nightmare. It's only good if your expectations of how the touchpad should work don't deviate from those assumed by its developers. I'm working on a touchpad exclusively and libinput is one of the only things holding me back from switching to Plasma on Wayland

Comment

dos1 : I always found touchpads to be slower to use than a mouse. I'm wondering why you are using them often. Do you find them quicker? Do you do lots of work on the move where carrying/using/unpacking a mouse would be inconvenient?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
        dos1 : I always found touchpads to be slower to use than a mouse. I'm wondering why you are using them often. Do you find them quicker? Do you do lots of work on the move where carrying/using/unpacking a mouse would be inconvenient?
        Yeah, it's just a habit developed due to convenience. Sometimes I plug in the mouse, especially when doing some graphics related stuff, but I often catch myself using the touchpad even though the mouse is attached. It's always there, so I got used to it being there.

Plus, some time ago I've been looking for a wired mouse with touchbar instead of mouse wheel, as the sensitivity of two-finger scrolling cannot be matched by any mouse I've ever used, but couldn't find any.

Comment

libinput touchpad support is bad right now, at least canonical understand something, laptop have a touchpad. Good for users

Comment

Thats what happens when you become dependent on the organization that caused so much pain to users.

Comment

For me libinput is doing a great job nowadays. With the extended gestures addon, I can even have some three-finger gestures on my crappy thinkpad touchpad, working better/more reliable than expected. I hope gnome and linux applications will catch up more of gestures, soon :/

Comment

You are all wrong. The trackpoint is the input device to rule them all.

/S

Comment

I have an odd situation, libinput is best for my keyboard. synaptics is best for my touchpad, and old-fashioned evdev is best for the trackpoint. so I'm running all three to get it to work right. whereas libinput-only is a noticeable downgrage in usability and upgrade in frustration ...
                  So, yes, please keep synaptics around for another year or so, and work on making the configuration as rich as synaptics & evdev. right now libinput is making some bad assumptions for some touchpads, like my ALPS one.

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post
                    While libinput is generally great, for touchpads it's a nightmare. It's only good if your expectations of how the touchpad should work don't deviate from those assumed by its developers. I'm working on a touchpad exclusively and libinput is one of the only things holding me back from switching to Plasma on Wayland
                    libinput is missing a lot of configuration options compared to the Synaptics driver, but I've never used any of those configuration options so libinput works fine for me on both X and Wayland. No complaining. My trackpad's fast and precise.

Comment

Working...
                    X