Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolphin Getting More Improvements For KDE Applications 18.04 & Other KDE Happenings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphin Getting More Improvements For KDE Applications 18.04 & Other KDE Happenings

Phoronix: Dolphin Getting More Improvements For KDE Applications 18.04 & Other KDE Happenings

KDE contributor Nathaniel Graham is out with another recap of the usability and productivity improvements made this past week by the KDE community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Those improvements further cement KDE position as the most resourceful DE.

Comment

And that's just a *weekly* recap

Comment

All these usability improvements are what was really needed to make kde feel polished and enterprise ready. Great!

Comment

3 messages and still nobody shitting on KDE? Come on, trolls are late now

Comment

Dolphin is fantastic, I enable the information panel to have the possibility of video previews, music etc. a great piece of free software!

Comment

I've been using KDE again lately (I hadn't used it since 4.11/4.12) and I do like it again. But it's funny that people keep saying that KDE apps are more advanced than GNOME ones. I mean (and do read this before quoting please!): it's true that a lot of KDE apps have more functionality. But a few of these upcoming improvements were already available in GNOME, like reporting of symlinks in Nautlius and controlling gThumb via MPRIS.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                I've been using KDE again lately (I hadn't used it since 4.11/4.12) and I do like it again. But it's funny that people keep saying that KDE apps are more advanced than GNOME ones. I mean (and do read this before quoting please!): it's true that a lot of KDE apps have more functionality. But a few of these upcoming improvements were already available in GNOME, like reporting of symlinks in Nautlius and controlling gThumb via MPRIS.
                Yes, quite true. I personally don't really like the myth that GNOME software doesn't have any features. GNOME's philosophy is to only add the features that actually matter to most people. This is why Nautilus already has a powerful batch-rename feature, for example, and Dolphin's is still in development (see https://phabricator.kde.org/D10698).

However, "most people" isn't "all people", and that's where KDE software can really shine as long as we make sure not to neglect the common cases. That's what the Usability & Productivity initiative is all about: if we can have good defaults, high usability for common workflows, *and* an enormous amount of features for people who need them, we'll have achieved the old grail of software--and that's what we're shooting for.

Comment

It's a shame that in his Patreon page, he's only getting $234 per month for this awesome work. I starting contributing to him a month ago and I hope he attains his goal so that he can continue this great polish work.

Comment

"A notorious and longstanding bug has been fixed!"
                    I am most happy about this getting fixed, even though it wasn't a KDE bug but a Network manager one!.
                    It was very annoying to type the password twice on each wireless connect.
                    I hope that Kubuntu 18.04 backports the fix, as suggested on the blog post.

Comment

Working...
                    X