No announcement yet.

GStreamer 1.14.0 Released With WebRTC Support, AV1 Video & Better Rust Bindings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GStreamer 1.14.0 Released With WebRTC Support, AV1 Video & Better Rust Bindings

Phoronix: GStreamer 1.14.0 Released With WebRTC Support, AV1 Video & Better Rust Bindings

GStreamer 1.14.0 is now available as the first big feature release of 2018 for this widely-used, open-source multimedia framework...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you use mesa git with this commit https://github.com/mesa3d/mesa/commi...88576fde4bde4a and you want to us gstreamer vaapi encoding you will need gstreamer-vaapi 1.14 for this commit: https://github.com/GStreamer/gstream...653cad4498db2e

Unfortunately with gstreamer 1.13.91 gstreamer-vaapi isn't encoding for me at all (RX 480). No error, it just doesn't start encoding. With 1.12.4 + the mentioned commit cherry picked it worked.

Comment

I never understood how gstreamer differ from ffmpeg.. someone can explain?

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
        Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't ffmpeg solely for decoding/encoding?
        Gstreamer is designed with elements which are linked together in a pipeline. Each element can have different usecases such as queues for syncing, filters and sinks (vulkan, opengl etc), sources (filesrc, httpsrc etc). The flexibility of these elements is what makes it easier to implement RTSP and such. There's even a gstreamer-libav plugin i believe which provides ffmpeg decoders,encoders etc. if you have some specific hardware which is only accelerated via ffmpeg.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
          gstreamer = self-contained modular en-/decoders/filters, ffmpeg = huge conglomerate of en-/decoders/filters.
          In other words, if you are unhappy with a module from gstreamer you just build a pipeline with a different module (other feature flags, other implementation, closed source...).
          If you are unhappy with ffmpeg you hack the source and recompile the whole library, or even fork it and call it libav.

you are also more flexible as you can hook your code as module at any point in the pipeline, though ffmpeg allows a surprising amount to be configured with the commandline its no match for that.

if you dont care for tinkering with the pipeline and just want to eg. transcode with common codecs, you will have an easier time with ffmpeg.

Comment

There is also a gstreamer module that uses ffmpeg; for some cases it can be useful (perhaps it supports a codec that doesn't have a native gstreamer module). And this is still useful in other ways, the gst pipeline may be easier to manipulate in certain combinations than trying to get ffmpeg to do it.

Comment

GStreamer is the framework, like DirectShow or Media Foundation on Windows or AV Foundation on MacOS. FFMPEG is a codec pack that has its own set of APIs because the free software ecosystem took far too long to come up with a framework API people could agree on. (But, at the same time, it is a very solid codec pack. Hence the decision by Windows codec packs like CCCP to let ffdshow do much of the work to avoid dancing with conflicts between officially released codecs.)

Comment

i changed from media-libs/phonon-gstreamer to media-libs/phonon-vlc because of huge diferent packages of gstreamer and to avoid conflicts with gstreamer versions.
                i not have idea if one i better than other but : now all is working in same way than before , at least, and with no conflicts and less packages on my system.
                would it be vlc = ffmpeg + gstreamer?

why use gstreamer instead of vlc or viceversa?

thanks a lot!
                Last edited by papu; 21 March 2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by papu View Post
                  i changed from media-libs/phonon-gstreamer to media-libs/phonon-vlc because of huge diferente packages of gstreamer and to avoid conflicts with gstreamer versions.
                  i not have idea if one i better than other but : now all is working in same way than before , at least, and with no conflicts and less packages on my system.
                  would it be vlc = ffmpeg + gstreamer?

why use gstreamer instead of vlc or viceversa?

thanks a lot!
                  VLC is a video player that includes its own competitor to GStreamer that I've never heard of being used by anything other than the VLC frontends and Phonon.

(Source: They say on the Hacker Guide/Core page on the VLC wiki, "VLC is, in fact, a complete multimedia framework (like DirectShow or GStreamer) where you can load and plug-in many modules dynamically, depending on the necessity.")

That's part of the whole "because the free software ecosystem took far too long to come up with a framework API people could agree on" thing. Audacious Media Player also has its own audio-only codec pipeline which descends from XMMS (a WinAMP 2.x clone).

Comment

ok, i normaly has used a kde desktop and i always had used gstreamer( on very past time xine)
                    then is not posible to use vlc like a substitute of gstramer on no-phonon systems?
                    like i say i not feel any diferences from using using vlc or gstreamer ,well diference for me is less packages and problems , and a more minimalist system with vlc backend

thanks
                    Last edited by papu; 21 March 2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X