Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 2.8 Is Going To Be Very Exciting, Requires OpenGL 3.3+

Phoronix: Blender 2.8 Is Going To Be Very Exciting, Requires OpenGL 3.3+

The Blender 2.8 3D modeling software update isn't even reaching beta until likely the second half of this calendar year, but it's going to be a darn exciting update once it finally ships...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Like if you want them to support exclusively vulkan from the next major(ish) version on

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
      Like if you want them to support exclusively vulkan from the next major(ish) version on
      Vulkan wouldn't happen until 2.9. This refactoring has been 2 years in the making. If you want them to meet their 2018 deadline for 2.8.0 and buggy you'll accept Vulkan won't be discussed until 2020 release time.

Comment

Obviously by next i meant the next after 2.8

Comment

I really like the way Blender is heading with features, but last I tried it, the UX(and UI too I think) was still unpleasant to use compared to the professional industry standard software equivalents like Maya. There is a setting Blender has to try give Maya mouse/keyboard UX but I remember that not working too well.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
            ... last I tried it, the UX(and UI too I think) was still unpleasant to use compared to the professional industry standard software equivalents like Maya.
            For a few years I thought that as well, but at one point I decided to learn the UI and after a few days it became very natural. Well, after a couple of hours I was already liking the interface, then it was just a matter of finding out how to do what I wanted to do. It's actually one of the best and most powerful UI for doing 3D work that I ever used. If you are looking for a Maya clone then move along, though. It's something that Blender is never going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

For a few years I thought that as well, but at one point I decided to learn the UI and after a few days it became very natural. Well, after a couple of hours I was already liking the interface, then it was just a matter of finding out how to do what I wanted to do. It's actually one of the best and most powerful UI for doing 3D work that I ever used. If you are looking for a Maya clone then move along, though. It's something that Blender is never going to be.
              How much experience do you have with Maya? I've been able to jump back into it after not using it for 5 years and pick it all up pretty quickly, even introduce someone to it fast and they got it. Not so much with Blender or others I've shown it to, there is questionable UX/functionality choices as well. I have spent time in the past trying to get used to Blender and while it did seem to be pretty powerful with plenty of features, some were not easily discovered or a bit confusing/convulted. I have used a variety of 3D software packages though I have many years in Maya primarily, with most of them I could adopt usage pretty well, especially more recent ones like 3D Coat, Unfold3D or MeshMixer. So I don't feel it's due to any particular bias, similar I guess to Photoshop vs GIMP(maybe Krita too)...?

I'll try give it another go when 2.8 is out, Eevee was pretty cool when I tried it. I know Blender is quite capable but I also know how Blender is incredibly frustrating for many professionals whom can pick up digital content software pretty easily in most other cases. I think Blender might be more intuitive if you have less experience with other alternatives.

Comment

I'll try give it another go when 2.8 is out, Eevee was pretty cool when I tried it. I know Blender is quite capable but I also know how Blender is incredibly frustrating for many professionals whom can pick up digital content software pretty easily in most other cases. I think Blender might be more intuitive if you have less experience with other alternatives.
                If only all those "professionals" cared enough to articulate their frustration constructively to the blender devs. Blender might become a bit less frustrating for them.

Comment

I worked for over a decade in the VFX and animation industry, and I'm sick of the excuse of Blender's UI/UX being different than Maya makes it difficult to use.

First, in this business it is 'adapt or die'. In a hypothetical situation where larger studios stops using Autodesk software and adopts Blender, you can bet your ass that artists will learn to use it fast. This is happening some places already. If you can't, or more importantly, won't learn new software and concepts, this profession may not be for you, or at least it is a ticking clock for people resting on their laurels.

Second, don't compare Blender to small applications with a specific function such as Unfold3D etc. If you want to feel "professional" try to learn Houdini, one of the most respected packages in the industry, then come back and tell us how difficult/different Blender is again.

Blender is fast and stable to use, flexible and is very actively developed, and can absolutely be called professional. Yes, the stigma of being "free" is still there, but if image means more than functionality, I don't care about your opinion. About learning new stuff, I get that the motivation is not always there, when you are already prolific in one piece of software. Like why learn a new programming language? In the end it is easier to dismiss something, than to put the effort in to continuously learn stuff. And when you _have_ to learn something new because your livelihood depends on it, you may find that it is not all bad and maybe even a bit better.

Comment

*who can pick up

Sorry, that grammar mistake just drives me mad.

Comment

Working...
                    X