Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Pro vs. Five Linux Distributions In Various Benchmarks

Phoronix: Windows 10 Pro vs. Five Linux Distributions In Various Benchmarks

Here are our latest Windows 10 versus Linux benchmarks for the week. This benchmarking dance is looking at the Windows performance compared to Ubuntu, Clear Linux, Fedora, Antergos, and Solus Linux in various workloads. Among the tests this time around were looking at the performance with Go, Java, Perl, Python, FFmpeg, and more.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting results. For me personally I want to check .net core benchmark tests. From these tests you can definitely see that Java is better optimized for Windows while Perl for Linux.

Comment

TL;DR : if you're not using Clear Linux you are criminal for wasting environmental resources needlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
        TL;DR : if you're not using Clear Linux you are criminal for wasting environmental resources needlessly.
        We need more shitty comments like this, but funny ones.

Comment

I get that you are joking, but I just want to point out that faster isn't always same as power efficient.

Comment

Clear Linux is Intel Linux

17 December 2015. Page 1 of 1. 24 Comments
            For the past year Intel's Open-Source Technology Center has been working on the Clear Linux Project
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

These benchmarks and several others

shows which software is less buggy. Buggy DirectX Windows renderer perform 270 fps, Same level of bugs cause 6 fps in OpenGL Linux.
              Buggless openGL render performs 315 fps using Linux and 303 fps using Windows. Assume that DirectX is less affected by bugs copared to OpenGL in case of performance.

"Left 4 Dead 2 Linux: From 6 to 300 FPS in OpenGL." As far as a talk description,

How Valve Made L4D2 Faster On Linux Than Windows on 9 August 2012

Valve's L4D2 Is Faster On Linux Than Windows
              on 1 August 2012

Windows 7 SP1 was running Left 4 Dead 2 with the Direct3D renderer at 270 FPS while under Linux with OpenGL they are now at 315 FPS! Using the OpenGL renderer on Windows isn't also quite as good with its average frame-rate at around 303 FPS.

Comment

intel_pstate powersave really screws for me for some time now, I get obnoxious results at vsynctester.com and dropped/repeated frames in mpv.
                This driver module has evolved into totally useless shit, I don't see why it should be turned on by default when there is schedutil performing fine now and acpi-cpufreq performance not wasting much power with modern CPUs anyway.

Comment

I really wish more distributions would use CL's optimizations or that Intel would push more for it :/

Comment

Should've added Mac OS into the mix, just for laughs. WSL results also would've been interesting.

Seems Fedora and Ubuntu have some optimizations to do. Those distros (and Mint) are the ones most likely to appeal to Windows users trying Linux for the first time, but a lot of these benchmarks of those distros hurt the appeal.

Comment

Working...
                    X