GCC 7.3 vs. GCC 8.0 vs. LLVM Clang 6.0 On The POWER9 Raptor Talos II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 7.3 vs. GCC 8.0 vs. LLVM Clang 6.0 On The POWER9 Raptor Talos II

Phoronix: GCC 7.3 vs. GCC 8.0 vs. LLVM Clang 6.0 On The POWER9 Raptor Talos II

As part of the remote testing of the Raptor Talos II Workstation that is comprised of fully free software down to the firmware and powered by high-end POWER9 processors, over Easter weekend I carried out some GCC vs. Clang benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The CacheBench and C-ray benchmarks are both off by factor of 4 in opposite directions, so that could be a missed autovectorization on the inner most loop. The LAME encoding is weirder.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
      The CacheBench and C-ray benchmarks are both off by factor of 4 in opposite directions, so that could be a missed autovectorization on the inner most loop. The LAME encoding is weirder.
      I was guessing the OpenMP command for the use of parallel SIMD was missing. But the LAME MP3 results say otherwise. Very odd.

Comment

gcc 7 and 8 are both vectorizing the loop in cachebench write. What they do not do (and llvm apparently does) is unroll it. If you build with -funroll-all-loops the cachebench write improves by 3x on a p8, should be similar on p9.

Comment

Is optimization enabled for CacheBench, 7-Zip Compression, LAME, or Redis? The "gcc options" footnote doesn't show that it is.

Comment

Have you tried using -O3? I've heard it makes bigger difference on POWER.

Comment

Working...
            X