Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Final Beta Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Final Beta Released

The final beta release of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" is now ready for testing ahead of the official launch expected at the end of April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Alhough I understand why they did it, too bad that they rolled back to X.org. But AFAIK their plan is to make Wayland default again in 18.10.

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
      Alhough I understand why they did it, too bad that they rolled back to X.org. But AFAIK their plan is to make Wayland default again in 18.10.
      wayland works exceptionally well for me, I am surprised how well it works.
      It's not much missing from wayland, but it's mostly with vendors for instance teamviewer.

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post

wayland works exceptionally well for me, I am surprised how well it works.
        It's not much missing from wayland, but it's mostly with vendors for instance teamviewer.
        Wayland can be very hit or miss. Some people are running into a lot of problems with it.
        Some of my current personal issues with GNOME on Wayland:
        -It's locked to 60fps and it's very jittery on my 120hz display
        -Inputs from mouse and keyboard are jittery and unreliable
        -Hardware video decoding with gstreamer1.0-vaapi not working on AMD hardware
        -Firefox still has no native Wayland support
        -No ability to reset shell without being thrown out of the session
        -Frequent crashes on my custom kernel with AMDKFD which I need to run ROCm OpenCL. Don't think I'm getting these on mainline kernel though.

I used to have even more problems but some were fixed in GNOME 3.28, but those listed above are still preventing me from switching over, so I'm on x.org for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
          Ubuntu has come a long way. All major distributors now share the same kernel, init, compositor, desktop etc. Snap vs Flatpak is the only current disagreement.
          ALL major distributions share the same desktop? Linux Mint uses Cinnamon, so no, not *all* major distros share the same desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

ALL major distributions share the same desktop? Linux Mint uses Cinnamon, so no, not *all* major distros share the same desktop.
            That's one of the reasons they're not classified as "major".

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
              One really important reason to not default to Wayland at the moment is that you can't work around that huge Gnome memory leak with 'alt-f2 r' if you are running Wayland. For some users this has to be done multiple times per day. The bug is under active investigation upstream, it appears to affect all Gnome users, but has yet to be fixed.

Comment

Any news about a possible Unity7 flavor? I'm really surprised it's not here as I know a lot of users won't want to change. I know unity7 is still downloadable with apt but this is not something you can ask a normal user to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
                  Ubuntu has come a long way. All major distributors now share the same kernel, init, compositor, desktop etc. Snap vs Flatpak is the only current disagreement.
                  I wouldn't call it a 'disagreement'. Having options can be a good thing.

Comment

I must say that overall Ubuntu 18.04 looks pretty good.

The Apollo Lake Celeron PCs I test for digital signage work fine out of box. Wifi. HDMI Audio. EFI booting without any rEFInd witchcraft?!? Nice!

I built some tools to auto-test install the OS every day and scrape the logs for errors.

I know all software has bugs. Especially betas. But there were a few times where I thought "didn't ANYBODY test this?" Yes....yes...I know that applies to all software. And yes, especially betas. Relax, I'm climbing down off my high horse now. Remember, I did say that overall it looks good.

I just wished more people used the Ubuntu ISO tracker and reported bugs on the daily and beta ISOs. I am shocked at how few people test and give feedback.

Comment

Working...
                    X