Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Support Improvements Head Into Linux 4.17

Phoronix: Laptop Support Improvements Head Into Linux 4.17

Andy Shevchenko has submitted the platform-drivers-x86 updates for the Linux 4.17 kernel merge window that largely benefit modern x86 laptops running Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I recently purchased a new laptop after a long time of procrastinator about getting the best for the money. Of course I was not a bit interested in Windows10, I wanted good support for Linux. I settled on a Lenovo IdeaPad 320.
    All features work great except one. And this is something I've noticed that has worked poorly for years on various Linux distros. That is the built in touch pad. It will work, then freeze. Then suddenly start to work again, and then freeze. I've not been able to find fix for this yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
      I recently purchased a new laptop after a long time of procrastinator about getting the best for the money. Of course I was not a bit interested in Windows10, I wanted good support for Linux. I settled on a Lenovo IdeaPad 320.
      All features work great except one. And this is something I've noticed that has worked poorly for years on various Linux distros. That is the built in touch pad. It will work, then freeze. Then suddenly start to work again, and then freeze. I've not been able to find fix for this yet.
      It's working now? https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker...angeLog-4.12.9

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
        Sorry I couldn't find any reference to this issue in that list.

I have 2 kernels installed, 4.12 and 4.16; the issue is the same on both.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post

Sorry I couldn't find any reference to this issue in that list.

I have 2 kernels installed, 4.12 and 4.16; the issue is the same on both.
          Input: elan_i2c - add ELAN0608 to the ACPI table commit 1874064eed0502bd9bef7be8023757b0c4f26883 upstream. Similar to commit 722c5ac708b4f ("Input: elan_i2c - add ELAN0605 to the ACPI table"), ELAN0608 should be handled by elan_i2c. This touchpad can be found in Lenovo ideapad 320-14IKB.
          Are you using Ubuntu? Apparently this fix was worked out by Ubuntu people.. and maybe it also need related userland changes to work.

Comment

Working...
          X