Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Subsystem for Linux Now Supports Copy/Paste

Phoronix: Windows Subsystem for Linux Now Supports Copy/Paste

One of the features not being supported by Microsoft's "Windows Subsystem for Linux" (WSL) up until now was copying and pasting to/from the console...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, I already had copy-paste support by running an X-Server on Windows and using some MATE apps, but cool!

Comment

Microsoft loves to have copy paste broken, the same happened with Windows Mobile at launch.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Funny old anecdote with the Windows clipboard. Some 20 years ago I was tasked with fixing a bug in a application that build static web pages for news texts where the bug was that on occasion random garbage was written instead of the news text. Turned out that when tasked with how to properly re-format the text to fit a certain width the initial developer had created a hidden text box with said width and used the Windows clipboard to paste the text there and then copy it again, so whenever any one else on that same machine used the clipboard that was what went into the web sites at the time :-)

Comment

I've been using a script that launches WSL sshd into background on system boot, then I login via SecureCRT that way I get full featured terminal that I use for connecting to everything else anyway. I'd be surprised if I was the only one doing that (except for the SecureCRT part... most people seem to love putty *puke*).

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Microsoft loves to have copy paste broken, the same happened with Windows Mobile at launch.
            Meh, it doesn't have much to do with Microsoft. webOS also didn't have proper copy-paste at the initial launch, same goes for SailfishOS (it got partially added soon after, but it took them a few years before they got it working the web browser!), Wayland, although not an OS, also didn't have copy-paste support at launch, etc.

Comment

They should rename their product Jail Bars 10.

Comment

Clipboard of Windows still drives me crazy from time to time, it's especially bad in ModernUI apps like Edge. You always have to remember to not instantly close something after copy because it seems to need some time to actually perform it. Klipper holds the close request until the content is actually copied, way saner approach.

Comment

Am I missing something? Copy paste from the console has been working from day one for me.

Comment

WTF did I just read. It already worked.

Edit: oh okay, it's just that Michael only reads the title of articles, taking a glimpse at the screenshot is too hard. All this does is a new keybinding for copy-paste, but whatever.

Comment

Working...
                    X