Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Last Minute Linux 4.17 Pull To Help Non-PCID Systems With KPTI Meltdown Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Last Minute Linux 4.17 Pull To Help Non-PCID Systems With KPTI Meltdown Performance

Phoronix: A Last Minute Linux 4.17 Pull To Help Non-PCID Systems With KPTI Meltdown Performance

While the Linux 4.17 kernel merge window is closing today and is already carrying a lot of interesting changes as covered by our Linux 4.17 feature overview, Thomas Gleixner today sent in a final round of x86 (K)PTI updates for Meltdown mitigation with this upcoming kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been testing it for a week. Yes, it advances the results in benchmarks.
    perf stat --null --sync --repeat 10 perf bench sched messaging -g 20 -t

It is certainly untested on laptops. It broke down hibernation.

Comment

Originally posted by latalante View Post
      I've been testing it for a week. Yes, it advances the results in benchmarks.
      perf stat --null --sync --repeat 10 perf bench sched messaging -g 20 -t

It is certainly untested on laptops. It broke down hibernation.
      And, can you offer some 'real' numbers, with and without, please?

Comment

GREAT, I'll send some numbers (Xeon X3470, Lynnfield, Nehalem based) when Alex updated amd-staging-drm-next to 4.17-rc1. Currently I'm running with nopti and nospectre_v2 during Mesa radeonsi/radv benchmarking...
        Last edited by nuetzel; 15 April 2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

And, can you offer some 'real' numbers, with and without, please?
          I forgot to add in synthetic micro-benchmarks. For this example, about 50% improvement. How does this translate into real applications? Probably very little.
          It's a very old laptop (2006) with Core Duo 2 ("first generation").
          This test. https://github.com/paboldin/meltdown-exploit
          It does not show that it is vulnerable to meltdown.
          and spectre
          Spectre example code. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.

Though it may be.

Comment

Working...
          X