Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.12 Will Likely Ship In November, Might Drop Alpha/Beta Tags

Phoronix: Qt 5.12 Will Likely Ship In November, Might Drop Alpha/Beta Tags

With Qt 5.11 already due to ship at the end of next month, Qt developers have begun discussing the follow-on Qt 5.12 release to ship in late 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not just call them all release candidates like the Kernel does? They could make them weekly or nightly

Comment

There's a general tendency to drop those tags.. but I'm afraid this can only promote the use of defective software anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
        There's a general tendency to drop those tags.. but I'm afraid this can only promote the use of defective software anywhere.
        Qt had pretty defective releases in recent history (5.10.1 being even the current release), so it's not like the current way helped Qt Company's internal get their act together.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Qt had pretty defective releases in recent history (5.10.1 being even the current release), so it's not like the current way helped Qt Company's internal get their act together.
          My concern is not really about how functional it is for the Qt Company itself. I'm more concerned about the tendency to tag as usable what's alpha-quality software in fact. Why shouldn't we call things with their names? I find even the -rc nomenclature for the Linux Kernel quite misleading.

Comment

Working...
          X