Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Announces Linux-Powered "Azure Sphere" IoT Platform

Phoronix: Microsoft Announces Linux-Powered "Azure Sphere" IoT Platform

While back in 2015 there was Azure Cloud Switch as Microsoft's first foray into having their own Linux distribution that handles networking within their Azure data centers, today they have announced their Azure Sphere product for IoT use-cases and it's powered by Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anyone more familiar with Microsoft's approach to laying out site maps find more details on the "security innovations pioneered in Windows" that the custom Linux kernel has been "reworked with"?

Comment

Embrace, extend and extinguish phenomenon again, hooray!

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
        Embrace, extend and extinguish phenomenon again, hooray!
        How does one extinguish GPL licensed code

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          Can anyone more familiar with Microsoft's approach to laying out site maps find more details on the "security innovations pioneered in Windows" that the custom Linux kernel has been "reworked with"?
          I was thinking the same thing. No MS bashing here, after all I definitely prefer to see MS investing in Linux rather than trying to hamper it. But those "security innovations pioneered in Windows" sound like one hell of an oxymoron - unless the mean the innovations of an universal backdoor, built-in spyware and an impossible-to-disable lock-in mechanism?

Comment

Originally posted by Brophen View Post

How does one extinguish GPL licensed code
            You can't fight trolls with mere facts.

Comment

It reminds me the good old time of Hotmail story where when Microsoft decided to move the service on windows, it crashed so bad that they had to go back to Linux...

Comment

Make sure you agree to Microsoft's vision of what democracy is. Microsoft world police and champions of social justice.

Comment

are they required to release the source code then?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I was thinking the same thing. No MS bashing here, after all I definitely prefer to see MS investing in Linux rather than trying to hamper it. But those "security innovations pioneered in Windows" sound like one hell of an oxymoron - unless the mean the innovations of an universal backdoor, built-in spyware and an impossible-to-disable lock-in mechanism?
                    Microsoft has actually leap-frogged Linux in various ways (The one that people tend to think of most is the ability to recover from a graphics driver crash or change graphics drivers without a restart) and has put quite a bit of security hardening into the Windows kernel. (Partly to compensate for all of the legacy API baggage that's specific to Win32 APIs.)

Comment

Working...
                    X