Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking Out Ubuntu 18.04's Hardware/Software Software Survey

Phoronix: Checking Out Ubuntu 18.04's Hardware/Software Software Survey

Back in February was the controversial announcement that Canonical would begin offering a hardware/software survey for Ubuntu installations to premiere with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. This week while running some benchmarks of the effectively final release of Bionic Beaver, I noticed they finally got the feature exposed to users. Here's what it looks like and some of the hardware and software information detailed in these opt-out reports to Canonical.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Notepad++ on Linux?
    Also, Michael, I have one question. Do you not like HiDPI scaling on 4K monitors?

Furthermore, I see some air in the question dialogs
    Last edited by tildearrow; 25 April 2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Notepad++ on Linux?
      Also, Michael, I have one question. Do you not like HiDPI scaling on 4K monitors?

Furthermore, I see some air in the question dialogs
      For most distributions I am fine with the HiDPI defaults (or not) on most of my monitors.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

ha! I will uncheck this and they will never know what is the hardware config of my Thinkpad T430, NEver! NOr they will know what software is installed at the moment of the survey too !!!!1!

Comment

Data collection (aka hardware survey) and online account (for live patching) means SPYWARE to me.
          If they wanted to know something about the users' configurations they could've asked for it, but no, they don't like asking, they prefer to put spyware built-in the OS like in Windows 10.
          Congratulations to the EU who is fighting agains these assholes that require us to opt-out from a thousand things.
          I can barely wait for the new EU privacy protection law which forbids any checked by default checkboxes in software.
          No wonder Canonical and Microsoft are now best buddies.
          I bet Canonical is sharing this data with third parties for money, including Microsoft.
          Hopefully Kubuntu won't include any of this crap in the OS or I'll have to find yet another distro or use something older.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Data collection (aka hardware survey) and online account (for live patching) means SPYWARE to me.
            What means spyware to you is irrelevant. It's not spyware for logical people.
            Also typing it on caps doesn't make it spyware too.

If they wanted to know something about the users' configurations they could've asked for it, but no, they don't like asking, they prefer to put spyware built-in the OS like in Windows 10.
            That's what they do, THEY ASK FOR IT. So you are lying or haven't tried it. They even show you what they get. I am writing caps too lol.

No wonder Canonical and Microsoft are now best buddies. I bet Canonical is sharing this data with third parties for money, including Microsoft.
            Hopefully Kubuntu won't include any of this crap in the OS or I'll have to find yet another distro or use something older.
            So you like to bite the hand that feeds you. Kubuntu wouldn't even exist without Ubuntu. Kubuntu is a Canonical product, you know the Microsoft buddy.
            I think you should find another distro, after all Canonical is a spyware corporation with evil friends lol.

Comment

Danny3
              I shouln't feed the trolls, but it's hard not to...
              1. They do ask, and they're being transparent as to what data they're collecting
              2. This is nothing like Windows 10, which is actually pretty serious spyware.
              3. Debian is a pretty natural step for paranoid Ubuntu users. Actually, I went from Ubuntu 17.10 to Debian Sid myself fairly recently on my main desktop.

Comment

I don't understand the logic of what I call "hipster paranoid". They see a paranoid fad, and jump head first on it without even thinking.

If you do not thrust Canonical's survey, why would you thrust them controlling the repos you use? If you are not comfortable with that, why thrust any distro at all? You don't know the people behind them, all you know is what other people tell you, and that's it.

So if you are really serious about your privacy, dump your smartphone, start building your own e-mail server, pass as far away as you can from any famous internet service with logins (Google Search, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter), do not thrust VPNs at all, and last and most important, go to http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ and build your own OS.

...or just be another fad follower that go to forums to yell at the clouds.

Comment

That survey result will be full of Meltdown/Spectre capable CPUs and God knows what more we don't know yet

Since Internet was invented people fight it to no avail. So, internet is spyware nothing else - so if you wanna be secure just turn it off or invent something else more interesting that does not require it Now, that would be invention

It does not need to be smart, could be stupid, just like Internet... it does only need to make money in some way
                  Last edited by dungeon; 25 April 2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Regardless of how much you repeat your wrong opinion, this remains wrong.
                    It's NOT spyware as it does not collect privacy-violating information and there is full open source to confirm what it does.

Live patching is something 99.9999% of desktop users can do without (it's a server feature, as desktop users can just reboot their PC when they go to sleep or something).

FYI, they ARE asking the user. Did you see the screenshot in the article?

I can barely wait for the new EU privacy protection law which forbids any checked by default checkboxes in software.
                    It's not going to matter, malicious companies will just link the thing to crucial functionality so people will have to enable it anyway if they need the main function to work at all.

Like for example the "accept cookies banner" you see in most sites, that state "if you use this site you accept that cookies will be used", thanks EU for your great job at polluting my web browsing with bullshit notices that do not protect me in the slightest (also because cookies are not the main tracking system anymore and have not been for many years) and requires its very own adblock list to hide automatically.

Don't try to protect stupid people from themselves, it's pointless and only hampers everyone else.

I bet Canonical is sharing this data with third parties for money, including Microsoft.
                    Yeah, hardware info and statistics about what (usually open) software is installed that is also going to be published free on a website has great amazing value for third parties.

Stop hallucinating man.

Comment

Working...
                    X