Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning More About Red Hat's Stratis Project To Offer Btrfs/ZFS-Like Functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning More About Red Hat's Stratis Project To Offer Btrfs/ZFS-Like Functionality

Phoronix: Learning More About Red Hat's Stratis Project To Offer Btrfs/ZFS-Like Functionality

With Red Hat deprecating Btrfs in RHEL7 with that "next-gen" Linux file-system not having panned out like many had hoped for or expected, Red Hat has been investing in their new "Stratis" storage project. More details on Stratis have now come to light...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Statis is a volume-managing file-system

Comment

They also didn't opt for Btrfs since "it just hasn't yet gotten to where it needs to be in terms of stability and features."
      Sad but true
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Not trying to start an FS flame war, but personally i have high hopes for bcachefs: https://www.patreon.com/bcachefs

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Sad but true
          actually it is false, no matter what you think about btrfs. they(redhat) didn't opt for btrfs because all btrfs devs had left redhat. so noone was left to opt for it at redhat.

Comment

I'm for one looking forward to see what Red Hat can do with this new file system project. XFS apparently has a very solid review process that much of the rest of the Linux kernel does NOT have (and that's worrisome). It is a solid choice to build a file system scalability project upon.

My source on Linux kernel code review practices are here.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              actually it is false, no matter what you think about btrfs. they(redhat) didn't opt for btrfs because all btrfs devs had left redhat. so noone was left to opt for it at redhat.
              The others had to choose between using Btrfs and reinventing the wheel. If they opted for the latter maybe it's because they don't think that btrfs is that awesome.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                Actually, the problem with BTRFS is Oracle. Yes BTRFS is part of the kernel, and yes there are others helping with it, but the fact remains that it's generally supported and steered by Oracle. Its performance is also utterly abysmal as evidenced by regular benchmarks here on Phoronix, far behind XFS on the same work loads. Comparing BTRFS against OpenZFS is pointless because ZFS can't be integrated into Linux without a clean room project. The only reason you'd want to compare them as a user is when evaluating Linux versus FreeBSD servers rather than Linux distributions among themselves.

Frankly, only a fool would trust Oracle for anything, especially their direct competitor Red Hat. Oracle is a treacherous company. If Red Hat wanted to work on BTRFS based projects they could hire on developers if they needed to. I personally believe Red Hat would be foolish to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                  Not trying to start an FS flame war, but personally i have high hopes for bcachefs: https://www.patreon.com/bcachefs
                  Agree... will be interesting to watch the progress.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Actually, the problem with BTRFS is Oracle..

Not a big fan of Oracle, but it's not the cause of the BTRFS issues. I believe that most of the development for BTRFS is now being done at Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                    X