Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Ubuntu 18.04 Server Installer Is Working Out Nicely

Phoronix: The New Ubuntu 18.04 Server Installer Is Working Out Nicely

Last year Canonical began developing a new Ubuntu Server installer and while it was quite rough at first, it got into shape in subsequent months and is used by default for the newly-released Ubuntu Server 18.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The other big change that I overlooked for a while is it's a proper live session. Go to VT2 Ctrl-alt-F2 and enjoy a full server live session with apt-get working.

Comment

I have been anticipating this, I'm planning a major server upgrade, both hardware and software for my summer vacation. Can't wait to reinstall the sucker. xD

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
        The other big change that I overlooked for a while is it's a proper live session. Go to VT2 Ctrl-alt-F2 and enjoy a full server live session with apt-get working.
        That has been around for years now. I remember doing that in live sessions waaaay back with 9.x, 10.x and 11.x

Comment

Wait, no RAID configuration during the drive setup? That's... dumb

Edit: I'm the dummy. Didn't realize there were two different server images (one with the new, live installer, one without)
          Last edited by emptythevoid; 27 April 2018, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by emptythevoid View Post
            Wait, no RAID configuration during the drive setup? That's... dumb
            i totally agree.... RAID and LVM configuratin should be a must have IMHO of course.
            I also use often mdadm raid1 with my desktop systems, with previous releases I do raid1 installations using the mini.iso that is still debian installer including the ability to choose the desktop environment (via tasksel). with the 18.04 for now i am not able to find the mini.iso..... is it deprecated? in that case i will need to install ubuntu server and then install manually the desktop... not a big deal of course... but i liked the mini.iso

Comment

No RAID and no way to manually create ESP FAT partition for UEFI boot to work (only options ext4,xfs,btrfs).. WTF why even put manual option if you cannot make bootable system with it..

Luckily they still make images with proper installer (without the -live-): http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/18.04/release/

Comment

Damn, upgrade from 16.04 just have to break on me
                Good thing I've been testing it on unused computer...

Comment

Does someone know if ubuntu have fixed their EFI bootloader installer? In 16.04 installer failed to correctly install bootloader on some HP laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
                    Does someone know if ubuntu have fixed their EFI bootloader installer? In 16.04 installer failed to correctly install bootloader on some HP laptops.
                    had one probook g640 Gsomething with that issue, but it works fine by creating custom boot entry in bios. Its common to debian based distros and how they handle the esp fat partition because of apt. It does not fail to install, HP bios just looks for something else to boot from.

Comment

Working...
                    X