Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Ends The GeForce Partner Program

Phoronix: NVIDIA Ends The GeForce Partner Program

Following controversies the past few weeks about their GeForce Partner Program (GPP), NVIDIA is today ending the initiative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is good news! However, I'm inclined to think that NVIDIA has another similar anti-competitive stragety in the works.
    Last edited by HarlemSquirrel; 04 May 2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Or it might be possible that some anti-monopoly agency were starting on them, so they decided to shutdown this program before it hit the fan.

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
        This is good news! However, I'm inclided to think that NVIDIA has another similar anti-competitive stragety in the works.
        "Inclided?"

Comment

Very interesting. If Nvidia really thought this was misunderstood, it is 100% their fault why people felt this way. If consumers, AIB partners, lawyers, and shareholders all felt some degree of anti-competitiveness from this, Nvidia has no one to blame but themselves if that was not their intention.

Meanwhile, I can't remember who said it (or if they were even in this forum) but I remember someone saying how Nvidia may have been trying to pull a Coke Classic, where Coca Cola created a new (and arguably better) recipe for Coke, only to find a huge backlash of people wanting the "old coke" back. So, CC quickly un-did this decision, created Coke Classic, and and their sales ended up even better than before. In the situation with Nvidia, the GPP lasted just long enough that manufacturers have already dedicated new product lineups for AMD parts, so their job is done.

Comment

Does it even mater at this point? There are AREZ cards from ASUS and similar changes from other vendors. Will they throw everything into trash now?
            At the end of the day, partners already spent a lot of money on GPP and customers will pay for that no matter what.

Nvidia claimed to help customers making better choice with GPP, but at the same time second, very different, version of GT1030 launched recently. Pretty confusing if you ask me.

Lack of competition, especially at high-end, is what allows Nvidia to do crazy sht like this. Thankfully we have competition in CPU department now, hopefully AMD (and soon Intel) will compete in GPU space like that too soon.
            Last edited by nazar-pc; 08 May 2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
              Nvidia claimed to help customers making better choice with GPP, but at the same time launched second, very different, version of GT1030 launched recently. Pretty confusing if you ask me.
              Yeah, nVidia also have in every serie at least one "crystal clear" black sheep... Now that is GT 1030 , before was GTX 970

What to say other than to take a good look what memory are on cards if you can

In comparaison to Kabylake-G VegaM which is Polaris . Marketing is crazy all around, i think people should also benchmark entire PC scene to found out which vendor marketing team is crazier

Not that ARM scene is any better... just look at all this SBC mess and try to not laugh What to say there also other than - let them compete
              Last edited by dungeon; 04 May 2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
                Does it even mater at this point? There are AREZ cards from ASUS and similar changes from other vendors. Will they throw everything into trash now?
                At the end of the day, partners already spent a lot of money on GPP and customers will pay for that no matter what.

Nvidia claimed to help customers making better choice with GPP, but at the same time launched second, very different, version of GT1030 launched recently. Pretty confusing if you ask me.

Lack of competition, especially at high-end, is what allows Nvidia to do crazy sht like this. Thankfully we have competition in CPU department now, hopefully AMD (and soon Intel) will compete in GPU space like that too soon.
                Agreed. Damage already done with these batches of cards.

When a completely ignorant pc gamer wanna be person goes to store , they're jumping on everything with entitled "gaming". RoG is the number one example.

Problem is ; probably AMD doesn't have at least half of Nvidia's R&D budget. That was also the issue with Intel competition but tick-tock strategy reached it's limits. AMD caught up to Intel thanks to this also.

​​​​​​

Comment

Ending it eh? I believe it when Asus (ROG) and the others start offering AMD cards again on the brands they where forced to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
                    Problem is ; probably AMD doesn't have at least half of Nvidia's R&D budget. That was also the issue with Intel competition but tick-tock strategy reached it's limits. AMD caught up to Intel thanks to this also.

​​​​​​
                    AMD have at least budget to make a videos like this to promote Freedom of Choice instead

PC is really known that it is all about choice, otherwise Intel would long time ago just never allow AGP/PCI-E slots on a platform and then what would dGPU vendors do there nVidia in the first place would never exist without that freedom
                    Last edited by dungeon; 04 May 2018, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X