Understanding The X.Org Server's Complex Pointer Acceleration Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding The X.Org Server's Complex Pointer Acceleration Code

Phoronix: Understanding The X.Org Server's Complex Pointer Acceleration Code

While Peter Hutterer has been involved with the X.Org Server's input code and related projects for the past decade now and has spearheaded the projects around Multi Pointer X, X Input 2, and the Wayland/Xorg-using Libinput libraries, he's still had a tough time grasping the X.Org Server's pointer acceleration code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those of you distracted like me, there is a Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4:
    - http://who-t.blogspot.com.es/2018/05...sis-part2.html
    - http://who-t.blogspot.com.es/2018/05...sis-part3.html
    - http://who-t.blogspot.com.es/2018/05...sis-part4.html

Comment

The only thing you need to understand about pointer acceleration is that it shouldn't fucking exists ! And it sure as hell shouldn't be enabled by default.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
        The only thing you need to understand about pointer acceleration is that it shouldn't fucking exists ! And it sure as hell shouldn't be enabled by default.
        Touchpads are extremely bad without it. It has its usages. No everyone uses a mouse.

When I'm using a mouse I prefer no acceleration but using a touchpad without it is just horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

Touchpads are extremely bad without it. It has its usages. No everyone uses a mouse.

When I'm using a mouse I prefer no acceleration but using a touchpad without it is just horrible.
          I don't like to do multiple movements to move a pointer across the screen, so with me is acceleration all the time, mouse or touchpad.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I don't like to do multiple movements to move a pointer across the screen, so with me is acceleration all the time, mouse or touchpad.
            Same here, my threshold is being able to comfortably move the pointer diagonally from a top corner to a bottom corner of the screen with my hand resting at the same place. This is something I need mouse pointer acceleration for, since the defaults are inadequate.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post

Same here, my threshold is being able to comfortably move the pointer diagonally from a top corner to a bottom corner of the screen with my hand resting at the same place. This is something I need mouse pointer acceleration for, since the defaults are inadequate.
              Me too. I know some mouses have high DPI so you don't really need acceleration, but the common office mouse do.

Comment

I am the opposite. I like moving my arm a lot. I move my mouse with my whole arm instead of just the wrist. I have a big mousepad.

I hate mouse acceleration. Always off.

Having consistent, precise and predictable movement for my mouse is far more important to me than being able to fling back and forth quickly between corners of my screen.

It frustrates me that most DE mouse settings GUIs don't support properly turning it off, so I have to write xorg.conf files to force it off.

Comment

Have you tried to use two external screens with a laptop TouchPad? Sometimes acceleration really is necessary if you want something usable.

Maybe DEs could configure the default based on screen resolution, though

Comment

the mouse is increasingly becoming something that should be replaced one day. its inefficient and a headache to implement properly. How deos your computer know how big your mouse pad area is ? how you move your wrist/arm? it doesnt.

Comment

Working...
                    X