Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several DDX Drivers Aren't Yet Ready For X.Org Server 1.20

Phoronix: Several DDX Drivers Aren't Yet Ready For X.Org Server 1.20

If you were hoping to build the newly-released X.Org Server 1.20 on your system(s) this weekend, be forewarned that a number of the DDX drivers haven't yet been updated for supporting the API/ABI changes of this big server update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm using Xorg 1.20 with xf86-video-amdgpu without issues on Arch with testing repository activated.
    Maybe the not yet updated DDX driver limits some of Xorg's new functionality, but at least I can use the system the same as before.

Comment

I got rid of all the non modesetting drivers long time ago. Don't know if there is still a reason to use them for AMD. So far xorg 1.20 works well on Arch, only on Plasma-Wayland when starting Rise of the Tomb Raider the Feral menu doesn't show any content anymore, only crippled colours.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
        I got rid of all the non modesetting drivers long time ago. Don't know if there is still a reason to use them for AMD.
        xf86-video-amdgpu allows RedShift apply also to the hardware cursor (without amdgpu.dc) and it hides rubbish resolutions which would only lead to display malfunction (again, without amdgpu.dc).

Comment

It's been three years since their last xf86-video-intel 3.0 release candidate and now five years since their last stable release of the Intel DDX driver.
          Someone make a joke about developers and procrastination please, I can't think of one.

Comment

I got rid of all the non modesetting drivers long time ago. Don't know if there is still a reason to use them for AMD.
            xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-amdgpu support TearFree (VSync) whereas xf86-video-modesetting does not, see: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98876

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
              Someone make a joke about developers and procrastination please, I can't think of one.
              I can't think of any, but I'm sure that a good ol' musical about procrastination will do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi3aEGo8y-E

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
                I don't have anything good at the moment. Does a sarcastic "Release early, release often" crack a smile?

Comment

Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post

xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-amdgpu support TearFree (VSync) whereas xf86-video-modesetting does not, see: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98876
                  Reading the bug quite fast it seem to not affect Kwin or Mutter. I will read it more detailed once I have time, thanks for the information.

Comment

Reading the bug quite fast it seem to not affect Kwin or Mutter. I will read it more detailed once I have time, thanks for the information.
                    I'm imagining lots of funny jokes about procrastination after reading your message, but I'm too lazy to take the time to write them :P

Comment

Working...
                    X