Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vim 8.1 Adds Support For Running A Terminal In The Vim Window

Phoronix: Vim 8.1 Adds Support For Running A Terminal In The Vim Window

Vim 8.1 is out today as the latest stable feature update to this advanced cross-platform text editor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

... and with Vim 8.2, support for emulating C64 will be added:

Yet the best Editor there is

Comment

I wonder if some people will now use vim as a replacement for GNU screen.

Comment

nvim supports it for a while already.

Comment

That's no text editor, it's a IDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            ... and with Vim 8.2, support for emulating C64 will be added:
            Yet the best Editor there is
            Nano master race.

Comment

For windows this is great news. There is no native terminal multiplexer on windows and using ConEmu etc.. as a replacement feels a tad messy, likewise installing Cygwin etc... just for GNU screen or tmux.

On MSDOS I just used DESQview but Windows has simply not had a decent solution. Not to mention no job control or anything like that. The cmd history is also not flexible enough to ignore the " exit" command when going back into vim after a :shell. There is also no "bind" functionality to go back to vim in a key press. This made me wonder if using Vim effectively was even feasible on Windows without plugins.

I used an official build once (I think it was 7.x) that so long as I did not create a vimrc file, would run the :shell session in the same vim windows. This was really nice to use but without editing the vimrc was a tad inflexible for other things.

Comment

This is great news!

Comment

I am driving crazy... You open Vim in a terminal and then you open a terminal inside Vim and then you open Vim inside the terminal inside Vim and then you open a terminal inside Vim inside a terminal inside Vim inside a terminal...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                    I am driving crazy... You open Vim in a terminal and then you open a terminal inside Vim and then you open Vim inside the terminal inside Vim and then you open a terminal inside Vim inside a terminal inside Vim inside a terminal...
                    *That's* the comment I was waiting for.

Comment

Working...
                    X