Purism Introduces Its Telepathy-Using GTK3-Based Phone Dialer Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Introduces Its Telepathy-Using GTK3-Based Phone Dialer Plans

Phoronix: Purism Introduces Its Telepathy-Using GTK3-Based Phone Dialer Plans

Purism has formally introduced "Calls", it's GTK3-based (Public Switched Telephone Network) phone dialing application that it hopes will be accepted into the upstream GNOME project. Purism plans to develop this phone dialer using GNOME's Telepathy framework but for now is using a simple oFono back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. They got the phone icon right this time.
    Just make the button font a lot bigger, and stop using DejaVu Sans for once!
    Last edited by tildearrow; 18 May 2018, 03:14 PM. Reason: remove typo report

Comment

As a baker, posts like this really don't give me much hope for Librem 5 Looks like they're closely following the mistakes of "a company who shall remain nameless" (Openmoko, if you don't get it). Such a simple proof-of-concepts should be a part of project's feasibility study, especially today, when we have projects like freesmartphone.org and oFono who already did the hardest parts. With a modem not chosen yet, looks like they're yet to discover the massive complexity of the stack that needs to be implemented there. What's more - Openmoko phones were perfectly capable of making phone calls when shipped. They just had a few rough corners that made them not exactly as reliable as one would expect. Its their journey that led to creation of things like FSO and oFono. The company should be named - while Openmoko itself failed, you're standing on the shoulders of its (and later Nokia's) work.
      At this point, I just hope for Librem 5 to be a good hardware for me to use with any OS I'd like to. Unfortunately, the past taught us that the default OS matters a lot, because if that won't be good enough, GNU/Linux phones will get yet another reputation hit and scramble to get enough interest to get rolling once again for years
      Last edited by dos1; 18 May 2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

This is programmer's art at its finest. The oversized screenshot just shown on phoronix makes it ugly.
        I don't know what's wrong with the font, I guess that's lost on me. I'm only thinking that if the dialer pad takes the whole screen on a big phone that doesn't seem very good - how am I supposed to reach the "1" key with my thumb?
        Of course, I know it's just that. Just a preliminary thing, like that time you showed a very basic demonstration of input. I'm not dissing it! Hope by being transparent you don't get hit by naysayers and trolls that don't have anything better to do that tell the world it's ugly and it sucks.

Regarding the Openmoko, well hardware sucked back then. Seems they couldn't even afford a gigabyte of flash back then. I tried to find some specs - looks better than some router with 32 or 64MB RAM and DD-WRT, worse than a desktop from 1999. With the Librem I guess you can ssh in and run desktop software - just ignore the kind of "convergence" that says you have to buy some silly dock or USB-compatible monitor ; you could use ssh -X or putty + Xming on any random computer [or some RDP or similar] and run some CAD program or anything that's on the phone . If there's USB networking out of the box, at least (Firefox OS had it)

Non sucky hardware should do for people who just want to use youtube etc. as well, or web-based platforms I don't approve of.
        The Librem will be fairly overpriced though - such as it would be easier to buy it with financing...
        Last edited by grok; 18 May 2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

It's still a pity they went with GTK and not with Qt. Lot's of potential wasted.

Comment

I like GTK better on desktop...

Maybe you will be able to run Qt applications anyway?
            Having to run only Qt applications wouldn't be good. Even on Windows 98 I ran a mix of applications, some "native" some using something else or even no toolkit at all (winamp?) then years and years later, same thing on linux a mix of mostly GTK2 applications, plus Qt, FTLTK, some old thing used by xpdf, then GTK3 applications under a GTK2 desktop. I should only care that there's software to run and that it doesn't look too out of place.
            Anyway, most people will most often use the browser where there's no standard on how things should look.

Comment

While Telepathy is controversial among even GNOME developers
              What's so controversial about telepathy? Seemed like a good idea to me for all Free-desktop er desktop's to share a base communication framework. At one point we had Empathy and Kopete working nicely and you could run Google, Facebook, MSN, XMPP without issue and switch between desktops. Plus it allowed cool features like being able to establish an SSH connection via a contact without needing to configure port forwarding on a router. For some reason Empathy stopped being maintained and I think KDE forgot about Kopete (though I think it is still maintained).

Comment

I just wish GTK would fix their C++ support. It's absolutely atrocious in 2018 that C++ on GTK is dumb to use with GTKs wysiwyg editor.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicMyth View Post

What's so controversial about telepathy? Seemed like a good idea to me for all Free-desktop er desktop's to share a base communication framework. At one point we had Empathy and Kopete working nicely and you could run Google, Facebook, MSN, XMPP without issue and switch between desktops. Plus it allowed cool features like being able to establish an SSH connection via a contact without needing to configure port forwarding on a router. For some reason Empathy stopped being maintained and I think KDE forgot about Kopete (though I think it is still maintained).
                  I vaguely remember reading that Telepathy framework is a mess to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                    I vaguely remember reading that Telepathy framework is a mess to deal with.
                    MagicMyth there, found it https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desk.../msg00047.html

Comment

Working...
                    X