No announcement yet.

Raven Ridge With The Ryzen 5 2400G On Mesa 18.2 + Linux 4.17 Is Finally Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raven Ridge With The Ryzen 5 2400G On Mesa 18.2 + Linux 4.17 Is Finally Stable

Phoronix: Raven Ridge With The Ryzen 5 2400G On Mesa 18.2 + Linux 4.17 Is Finally Stable

Depending upon the motherboard and other factors, the Raven Ridge Linux support has been a bit of a mess since its February launch. Fortunately, with time various Linux driver fixes have landed for improving the stability and performance of these APUs with Zen CPU cores and Vega graphics. During my recent testing of the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, it was completely stable and running fine with the newest open-source driver code but the Ryzen 3 2200G was still a stability nightmare.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow....Raven Ridge DESTROYS now ! I wonder how much Mesa 18.2 contributed to this seeing as how Kaveri APU's improved massively with Mesa 18.2 Would love to see benchmarks with 18.0, 18.1 and 18.2 with Raven Ridge Ryzen 5 2400G

Comment

Problems like black screen instead of login screen which sometimes occurs sometimes not and system freeze while using libreoffice also rectified?

Comment

Michael

Thanks for tests

However can add 720p tests because 1080p is too much for this apus (maybe when fix memory bandwith: HBM?)

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
          Michael

Thanks for tests

However can add 720p tests because 1080p is too much for this apus (maybe when fix memory bandwith: HBM?)

Integrated GPU's don't have dedicated memory, they use RAM memory.

Comment

my 2400g has been almost stable for one month now

Comment

Originally posted by neatnoise View Post

Integrated GPU's don't have dedicated memory, they use RAM memory.
              Yeah for this reason actual system shared memory dont enough, especially notorious at 1080p

HBM* could solve this and performance must be up at 1080p

*Only need HBM with bandwith upper to 80gb/s to improve

Comment

Let's try this again. I was unapproved as the first commenter. I originally said that the Raven Ridge now de$!roys ! Perhaps the web site did not like that word.

Anyway....I also said that perhaps it would be interesting to see how much Mesa 18.2 contributes to this new Raven Ridge's performance. Recently it was shown how much the older Kaveri's performance improved by moving to Mesa 18.2. Could we see this same test but with Mesa 18.0.x, 18.1.x and 18.2.x ?

Comment

Hey Micheal.... a request...
                  I know that just about everyone is killing for those Desktop APU, but would there be a different between them and laptop APU's? Would be be able to test any Ryzen laptops?
                  I am concerned if only because I am shopping around for a new laptop and Ryzen is sounding really good for a linux laptop right now. Unless the APU's have issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                    Anyway....I also said that perhaps it would be interesting to see how much Mesa 18.2 contributes to this new Raven Ridge's performance. Recently it was shown how much the older Kaveri's performance improved by moving to Mesa 18.2. Could we see this same test but with Mesa 18.0.x, 18.1.x and 18.2.x ?
                    The Kaveri performance increase does not have anything to do with any general optimization RR could benefit from. The increase in performance was achieved by (finally) enabling all hardware ressources (Was it execution queues? Not sure anymore) which were disabled specifically for Kaveri before. It is doubtful that the situation is or was the same for RR.

Comment

Working...
                    X