Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV Gets Support For 32-bit GPU Pointers For User SGPRs, Benefiting Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Gets Support For 32-bit GPU Pointers For User SGPRs, Benefiting Performance

Phoronix: RADV Gets Support For 32-bit GPU Pointers For User SGPRs, Benefiting Performance

Samuel Pitoiset of Valve's Linux graphics driver team has been working on support for 32-bit GPU pointers for user SGPRs as his latest performance enhancement for this open-source Radeon Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they keep the current pace, MESA 18.2 or 18.3 may end up closing the gap with Vulkan on Windows... Good work!

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      free up some scalar general purpose registers (SPGRs),

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        If they keep the current pace, MESA 18.2 or 18.3 may end up closing the gap with Vulkan on Windows... Good work!
        Yep, and I have a feeling that Valve wants to release a Linux steamOS PC pseudo console with AMD graphics. Which will be a fixed hardware target platform for the next attempt at steam machines. Maybe it will even be a custom AMD APU chip like the actual consoles such as PS4 and Xbox One.

That can act as the standard steam machine console, and then anybody who wants to build their own is free to use whatever hardware they want of course... I think unlike last time they will actually have their standard console machine this time, maybe at a subsidized hardware price (which valve of course can afford to pay for). This removes the disadvantages which the last gen had which was not price comparable with actual consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
          Yep, and I have a feeling that Valve wants to release a Linux steamOS PC pseudo console with AMD graphics. Which will be a fixed hardware target platform for the next attempt at steam machines. Maybe it will even be a custom AMD APU chip like the actual consoles such as PS4 and Xbox One.

That can act as the standard steam machine console, and then anybody who wants to build their own is free to use whatever hardware they want of course... I think unlike last time they will actually have their standard console machine this time, maybe at a subsidized hardware price (which valve of course can afford to pay for). This removes the disadvantages which the last gen had which was not price comparable with actual consoles.
          I think they are going to make a real console, not steam machines. Steam machines failed. And they failed for a reason. Most casual audiences just want a black box that plays games, and they take that stuff from walmart. If they want to buy a desktop pc, they buy a desktop pc, they don't buy a bastardization of it...

I think Valve is going to launch a console, and they are going to name it SteamBox. LOL.

Comment

It would be great if Valve managed to make linux-based consoles succeed. The graphics stack on Linux is largely improving, AMD gaming was trash just a mere few years ago.

Console gamers buy PS4s or Xbox One because they're much cheaper than most pre-built PCs and I believe PC gaming, especially Linux has the reputation of being more elitist. Though there are really far too much AAA games that are just unavailable on Linux. And often game companies don't see the point into porting to Linux/Mac.

Steam doesn't seem like they want to have Wine working seamlessly... perhaps they'll change their tone as DXVK and RADV evolves, if they were to make such a console?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

I think they are going to make a real console, not steam machines. Steam machines failed. And they failed for a reason. Most casual audiences just want a black box that plays games, and they take that stuff from walmart. If they want to buy a desktop pc, they buy a desktop pc, they don't buy a bastardization of it...

I think Valve is going to launch a console, and they are going to name it SteamBox. LOL.
              yep, that's what i said. If you want to build your own you can.... But there will be a standard box.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                Steam doesn't seem like they want to have Wine working seamlessly... perhaps they'll change their tone as DXVK and RADV evolves, if they were to make such a console?
                Nope, seems like they want to push devs towards cross platform development and native support for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                X