Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mach64 & Rendition Drivers Now Work With X.Org Server 1.20

Phoronix: Mach64 & Rendition Drivers Now Work With X.Org Server 1.20

Anyone happening to have an ATI Mach 64 graphics card from the mid-90's or a 3Dfx-competitor Rendition graphics card also from the 90's can now enjoy the benefits of the recently released X.Org Server 1.20...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I regret the day I threw away my first computer. It was a Celeron 300MHz with 32MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD from Seagate and a nVidia RIVA TNT. I remember the days when I turned off DMA just to overclock the CPU to 374MHz to gain an extra fps. The only Linux distro that my first PC met was Mandrake.

Comment

I have 3dfx ,ati mach , riva tnt2 a small box of cards kicking around pci and agp. I do have a dual cpu tyan tiger board with mobile amd cpu's 2500+ that I wire modded back in the day to 2800+ 2ghz has 2gb ddr1 ram (it can go to 4gb registered) and nvidia 6800 256mb agp. It could run modern Linux I guess with a light de . It took me hours to wrap wire around the cpu pins so I guess I have an unhealthy attachment to it seeing as I still have it in storage.

Anyway I ran Ubuntu back in the day when their themes were not this god awful orange. Ubuntu theme was more brown back then was it feisty fawn 2007?.

Comment

Thing is, while the original Mach64 indeed dates back to the mid 90's, the driver itself covered up to and including some early revisions of the Rage128/Rage3D chip that was produced and included in laptops and servers until the early 2000s.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
          Thing is, while the original Mach64 indeed dates back to the mid 90's, the driver itself covered up to and including some early revisions of the Rage128/Rage3D chip that was produced and included in laptops and servers until the early 2000s.
          Am I wrong or some not so old rack servers still used old ATI GPU chips on the motherboard?

Comment

Did I hear a old hardware question? cal me in: https://www.youtube.com/renerebe/ ;-)!

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              Am I wrong or some not so old rack servers still used old ATI GPU chips on the motherboard?
              I know about Ivy Bridge era servers with Matrox graphics (mostly due to the out-of-band management chosen, which was using a Matrox G200eW "GPU"), then Aspeed's out-of-band management SoCs took over and we got a decent "GPU" with decent opensource driver support again.

Comment

I wish someone would get permission from NVIDIA and just release a new Voodoo card for running old games on. Either as a PCI-only card (so as not to compete with NVIDIA's current cards), or as a laptop chip for a portable retro PC.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  You are probably referring to the ATI ES1000.

Comment

This card was not competitor of 3dfx, this was just 2D card, even S3 Virge with basic OpenGL support was better.

Comment

Working...
                    X