Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.10.2 Released With HEIF Image Format Support

Phoronix: GIMP 2.10.2 Released With HEIF Image Format Support

Just shy of one month since the long-awaited debut of GIMP 2.10, the first stable point release is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can see that the gtk3-port branch has now been merged into master. Hopefully it wont be another multi year effort in getting this stabilised.

Comment

Being able to read yet another format is good. However, BPG was based on the very same idea as HEIF (using HEVC intra frame encoding to more efficiently store still images), but BPG was published about one year earlier than HEIF.

Also, with the size of available storage versus size of still images today, I don't bother using more efficient compression than JPEG provides - I don't need to reduce the size of the images I store any further. And if I did, I would rather go for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1#AV...e_Format_(AVIF)

Comment

What happened to BPG? How did HEIF acquire popularity so fast?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Apple uses it afaik. BPG should be similar to HEIF, just different containers.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            BPG = Random Dude From The Internet Came Up With The Idea = No Support From Anyone Or Anything

HEIF = Tech Industry Idea = Full Support Of Companies Involved In Software

BPG was (supposedly/allegedly) built on the same HEVC stuff HEIF was built on, so BPG was/is in (probable) violation of patents and cannot be pushed or further developed. AV1 will replace HEIF in the near future, when it's done cooking, since it's free and fully supported by the industry.
            Last edited by TheLexMachine; 20 May 2018, 07:52 PM.

Comment

dwagner - it's not just about storage, it's also about transfer.

Think about mobile devices - not everyone has 32+ GB storage. Devices like watches have even lower storage space.

Plus, lower image size is always better for image transfer - smaller the size, lesser network bandwidth required, lesser data usage for people, lesser network traffic for data centers. And of course, lesser storage space used up for data centers, any one with servers storing images.

Comment

The Internet infrastructure already uses JPEGmini for image content optimization, which works just fine for all current applications, as the Internet is not a high-resolution source of content for the most part. Over the next ten years, that will change as 4K and 8K (or beyond) will be the new standard display sizes, requiring new image compression techniques and formats to handle the image content. By the time that occurs, we'll have an appropriate successor to JPEG, hopefully build on open technology that everyone can use.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                  BPG = Random Dude From The Internet Came Up With The Idea = No Support From Anyone Or Anything
                  Nikola Tesla was such a random dude, everybody uses his ideas.

Fabrice Bellard, creator of FFMPEG, QEMU... and many other significant things is not really an random dude from the internet

That "random dude" for example is running Linux even with X in a browser and you can do it too

Once inside FB click on top, to see how much you are bloatized in your average Linux life
                  Last edited by dungeon; 20 May 2018, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                    The Internet infrastructure already uses JPEGmini for image content optimization, which works just fine for all current applications, as the Internet is not a high-resolution source of content for the most part. Over the next ten years, that will change as 4K and 8K (or beyond) will be the new standard display sizes, requiring new image compression techniques and formats to handle the image content. By the time that occurs, we'll have an appropriate successor to JPEG, hopefully build on open technology that everyone can use.
                    GNOME 4 will be optimized (or is it better to say bloatized ) to run on 16K screens, it would be also be able to leak 64GB of RAM per day without anyone noticiing it, etc...

I think, in about these 10 years there will be 128bit CPUs... basically, we are all obsolete
                    Last edited by dungeon; 20 May 2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X