Purism Publishes Librem 5 Dev Kit Details, Small Batch Order Going In Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Publishes Librem 5 Dev Kit Details, Small Batch Order Going In Soon

Phoronix: Purism Publishes Librem 5 Dev Kit Details, Small Batch Order Going In Soon

Purism has published their nearly final specifications on their limited-run Librem 5 Dev Kit. The cutoff for ordering a developer kit is next week as they are placing their hardware order and planning on only this single, limited run of the developer kit prior to the phones becoming available next year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

720×1440? I thought this was gonna be a 1080p smartphone

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      720×1440? I thought this was gonna be a 1080p smartphone
      as long as you keep it 30cm or more from your face you won't notice, and the lower the res the better (and longer) it runs. On a mobile device it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        as long as you keep it 30cm or more from your face you won't notice, and the lower the res the better (and longer) it runs. On a mobile device it matters.
        I will notice.

Comment

At least 2G of RAM????????
          Shouldn't it be 3G or more?

Comment

Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
            I will notice.
            If you do, you'll be holding the phone too close.

Comment

Originally posted by marty1885 View Post
              At least 2G of RAM????????
              Shouldn't it be 3G or more?
              They are using a SoM (a pre-made "motherboard" with the SoC, RAM and flash) for the sake of getting the SDK out before the actual phone hardware is ready. For a developer kit it's not a major issue.

In their site they say that the phone will have "greater ram and storage" than that. https://puri.sm/posts/june-1st-last-...ibrem5-devkit/

EDIT: for a moment I thought, wtf is this thing going to run that it needs more than 3GB... then I remembered... a GTK-based GNOME-like GUI.

Comment

They may be small benefits when dealing with photos, or maybe a remote desktop you zoom on.
                Perhaps an 8K desktop monitor (with 300% scaling) would be mostly pointless but just look subtly great. Perhaps it's useless except when when really want to squint or look very closely.

Anyway I would prefer 1440x720 - if this can be a high end 720p, that goes from bright outdoors to dim yet with decently deep blacks indoors, but I don't know how these displays perform as of now. It would be perfect if you could easily replace the screen with another one and have drop-in choice between 720p and 1080p.. Is that possible at all yet? I suppose phone vendors and panel vendors would like the flexibility and laptops have been doing this for many years. For the end user replacement screen must be available at least, whether there's any choice or not, to replace it when it breaks.

For the devkits I'm sure the 720p panel is way easier to source in small quantities and this can't wait. 1440x720 is going to cheap clone smartphones

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                  They may be small benefits when dealing with photos, or maybe a remote desktop you zoom on.
                  Perhaps an 8K desktop monitor (with 300% scaling) would be mostly pointless but just look subtly great. Perhaps it's useless except when when really want to squint or look very closely.
                  Consider that you simply cannot see pixels already in most 4k monitors. (not TVs, those can get big enough)

It would be perfect if you could easily replace the screen with another one and have drop-in choice between 720p and 1080p.. Is that possible at all yet? I suppose phone vendors and panel vendors would like the flexibility and laptops have been doing this for many years.
                  Possible, yes, eDP would work fine here too just as it works with laptops, but in practice it all comes down to what the screen maufacturer thinks is best, if they go the proprietary route and think their proprietary connector is better to keep locked their customers, then it's all lost.

Comment

No I will not. I've owned and continue to own devices with a variety of resolutions and I can absolutely tell the difference in Pixel density. Especially on photos, PDFs, small text, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X