The Vulkan Open-Source Ecosystem Grows: Now More Than 2,100 GitHub Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vulkan Open-Source Ecosystem Grows: Now More Than 2,100 GitHub Projects

Phoronix: The Vulkan Open-Source Ecosystem Grows: Now More Than 2,100 GitHub Projects

Just over one month after there were 2,000 Vulkan-mentioning projects on GitHub, the 2,100 project milestone has been breached...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't wait for software vulkan.

Comment

To me, this is the big indicator of a long-term win over DX12

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...2Fm%2F012zcnvd

EDIT: Set the span to a longer period and you will see how the trend trend changes in favor of DX12 to Vulkan
      Last edited by johanb; 23 May 2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexerex View Post
        I can't wait for software vulkan.
        What do you plan to do with it? Just for testing purposes? It won't have any kind of performance improvement over software OpenGL. The overhead of doing the graphics pipeline on the CPU will dwarf the improvements in API overhead.

I suppose it will be good for systems like desktop compositors that need to run in software mode with LLVMpipe, so they only have to implement a Vulkan render path.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
          To me, this is the big indicator of a long-term win over DX12

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...2Fm%2F012zcnvd

EDIT: Set the span to a longer period and you will see how the trend trend changes in favor of DX12 to Vulkan
          Do note that Vulkan is a word that was in use also before Vulkan (the API) was created.

For example look at data from before Vulkan was created, and subtract that to eyeball the actual people looking for the graphics API.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Do note that Vulkan is a word that was in use also before Vulkan (the API) was created.

For example look at data from before Vulkan was created, and subtract that to eyeball the actual people looking for the graphics API.
            Vulkan means volcano in my native language so I guess I should've thought about that.

In the google trends link though i chose "Vulkan the API" rather than "Vulkan the search term" however so that should partly improve the accuracy, but that google algorithm is obviously still wrong sometimes as you can see in 2004 it's on 8% as well as spikes to 32% in april 2010 when an Icelandic Volcano erupted.

Even with this in mind, Vulkan is slightly more popular than DX12 it seems though, but the win isn't as clear-cut.

Comment

Working...
            X