Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evdev Driver Updated, Libinput 1.11 Prepares For Rollout With Record & Replay Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evdev Driver Updated, Libinput 1.11 Prepares For Rollout With Record & Replay Support

Phoronix: Evdev Driver Updated, Libinput 1.11 Prepares For Rollout With Record & Replay Support

Peter Hutterer at Red Hat remains quite busy near single-handedly improving the Linux desktop input stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

" for recording and replaying back of input events". Presumably it's saving keystrokes (events) to a file (recording). I hope this key logger is being designed carefully such that it:

- it isn't compiled into the library for release builds (it's for debugging and testing so it shouldn't be)
    - is off by default
    - can't be toggled on by unprivileged processes
    - can't be easily and accidentally toggled on by unwitting users.
    - the event file (containing keystrokes) has appropriate permissions.

I'm suddenly reminded of that debugging feature one of the mobile phone OSs had where it logged raw GPS data to a file which could be ex-filtrated by malicious apps.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
      " for recording and replaying back of input events". Presumably it's saving keystrokes (events) to a file (recording). I hope this key logger is being designed carefully such that it:

- it isn't compiled into the library for release builds (it's for debugging and testing so it shouldn't be)
      - is off by default
      - can't be toggled on by unprivileged processes
      - can't be easily and accidentally toggled on by unwitting users.
      - the event file (containing keystrokes) has appropriate permissions.

I'm suddenly reminded of that debugging feature one of the mobile phone OSs had where it logged raw GPS data to a file which could be ex-filtrated by malicious apps.
      My sentiments exactly. I REALLY hope this guy is putting a extra effort to make sure this will not blow up on the users faces in the future.

Comment

I really want this record/replay input feature. This could be used as a primitive method to automate complex tasks on webpages or games.

Comment

I just tested it in Fedora and I have to take my hat off to Peter. My touchpad is now better on Fedora than it is on Windows. I think it's comparable to my MacBook's touchpad on OS X now, precision-wise.

Comment

Working...
          X