Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD K8 Support Stripped Out Of Coreboot

Phoronix: AMD K8 Support Stripped Out Of Coreboot

Support for AMD K8 "Hammer" processors including the original Athlon 64 processors and original AMD64 Opterons has been dropped from Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was surprised to see that the AMD K8 series includes the Athlon X2 processors. I know several people still using desktop computers based on Athlon X2 as their main PC.
    I guess these users would never use Coreboot anyway so it probably makes no difference, but they would not be happy if linux stopped supporting AMD K8, as using these desktops is still viable.
    Last edited by Ray54; 31 May 2018, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray54 View Post
      I was surprised to see that the AMD K8 series includes the Athlon X2 processors. I know several people still using desktop computers based on Athlon X2 as their main PC.
      I guess these users would never use Coreboot anyway so it probably makes no difference, but they would not be happy if linux stopped supporting AMD K8, as using these desktops is still viable.
      aren't Athlon X2's based on the Phenom, so K10h? I know the Athlon II X2's are based on the Phenom IIs and still popular at the (used) low end. And while K10h is based on K8, I don't see any evidence it's getting dropped so far.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaas View Post
        aren't Athlon X2's based on the Phenom, so K10h?
        Nope, google for Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester, Toledo cores) - they were announced a long time ago before first Phenom's.
        Edit: They were K8.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post

Nope, google for Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester, Toledo cores) - they were announced a long time ago before first Phenom's.
          Edit: They were K8.
          but you didn't say Athlon 64 X2, you said Athlon X2, which is the line succeeding the Athlon 64 X2

Comment

but you didn't say Athlon 64 X2, you said Athlon X2
            Not me, Ray54. I think he meant Athlon 64 X2.

Comment

but you didn't say Athlon 64 X2, you said Athlon X2, which is the line succeeding the Athlon 64 X2
              Doesn't matter either way - only Athlon IIs share any similarity to Phenom II. Athlon 64 (X2 or otherwise) is similar to the first generation Phenom. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as an "Athlon X2".

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Doesn't matter either way - only Athlon IIs share any similarity to Phenom II. Athlon 64 (X2 or otherwise) is similar to the first generation Phenom. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as an "Athlon X2".
                There absolutely was an Athlon X2 line, and looking it up, it turns out there are K8 and K10h based models- so I was also a little wrong. Brisbane got used for the K8 ones and Kuma, which was a chip harvest of Agena, the Phenom X4's core, got used for the K10h ones.

Comment

That is stuped think they can do lol

Comment

Hopefully those old boards won't need any new coreboot work, as the old code (like the old boards) still exists. Presumably the coreboot devs will be keeping it around in the usual way git and other version control systems work and/or as release old tarballs. Still, given how many new laptops are getting shit like Intel boot-guard and all the new blobs on newer procs, it seems to me that the Coreboot project should not be dropping older boards as well. Maybe the libreboot project will revert the offending commits on their branches, at least so long as that remains possible without a new rewrite.

Comment

Working...
                    X