Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15-Way Linux Distribution / Operating System Comparison, Including Windows 10 & WSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15-Way Linux Distribution / Operating System Comparison, Including Windows 10 & WSL

Phoronix: 15-Way Linux Distribution / Operating System Comparison, Including Windows 10 & WSL

As part of the large Linux performance tests we have begun and continuing through June with Phoronix celebrating its 14th birthday next week along with the 10th anniversary of the Phoronix Test Suite 1.0 release, for your viewing pleasure today is a 15-way Linux distribution / operating system comparison testing not only the leading and latest Linux distributions but also Windows 10 April 2018 Update and Linux on Windows WSL.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The updated Solus 3 Linux distribution ahead of Solus 4 provides the Linux 4.1 kernel, Mesa 18.1.0, and GCC 7.3.0 compiler atop EXT4.
    (are you sure it's 4.1?)

with this Intel NVme SSD device
    (NVMe)

With FFMpeg video
    (FFmpeg)

Comment

I believe that a comparison without an opinion is somehow incomplete, probably running a test with so many OSs it is hard by itself but I read just a synthetic report.

In base a this comparison I can say that overall the best distro is Debian because, despite it doesn't receive any tuning like the others distros do, it won in some tests and it had a very good average; and it has a lot of room for tuning and making it the faster...
      Last edited by Danielsan; 31 May 2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Q: Why Fedora workstation and not Fedora server? In my experience the different base package set makes a measurable difference.

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
          Q: Why Fedora workstation and not Fedora server? In my experience the different base package set makes a measurable difference.

- Gilboa
          Because the other distros were tested with their desktop state too. This was testing on a Core i9, not a Xeon or EPYC.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
            I believe that a comparison without an opinion is somehow incomplete, probably running a test with so many OSs it is hard by itself but I read just a synthetic report.

In base a this comparison I can say that overall the best distro is Debian because, despite it doesn't receive any tuning like the others distros do, it won in some tests and it had a very good average; and it has a lot of room for tuning and making it the faster...
            I recapped it at the end but not offering an 'opinion' when there goes more into judging a distribution for use besides just outright performance like licensing / enterprise support, etc etc. And in the end it's up to the user to judge it for themselves with what is most important to them, I am just presenting the data.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Debian should turn testing to main. It is stable and as seen above - faster.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
                Debian should turn testing to main. It is stable and as seen above - faster.
                Get ready for people to ream you out for thinking that way (don't worry, I don't have a problem with what you said).

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

You could also argue that openSUSE (both versions) and Centos all excelled. They were each run with lower performance file systems, and yet each of them were winning or doing above average in several categories.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
                    Debian should turn testing to main.
                    Don't worry, it will turn after freeze as usual

Comment

Working...
                    X