No announcement yet.

TrueOS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD & DragonFlyBSD Against Linux + Windows 10 Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueOS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD & DragonFlyBSD Against Linux + Windows 10 Benchmarks

Phoronix: TrueOS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD & DragonFlyBSD Against Linux + Windows 10 Benchmarks

Last week I posted benchmarks of a big Linux distribution and Windows 10 / WSL benchmark comparison while in this article for kicking off the Phoronix birthday benchmarking week are results when seeing how the various BSDs are comparing against the Linux distributions and Windows 10 Pro itself. The BSDs for this comparison were TrueOS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and DragonFlyBSD.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

cant wait for redox os and fuchsia to be added to the list

Comment

Isn't BLAKE2 used to compare processor generations?
      Last edited by tildearrow; 04 June 2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Antergous

Also, isn't BLAKE2 used to compare processor generations?
        Do you mean Antergos ?

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Do you mean Antergos ?
          I was reporting a typo.

Comment

Hi,

default compiler on OpenBSD 6.3 is Clang 5.0.1 and not GCC 4.2.1. Usually on Unixes default C compiler is `cc` command...
            Also I'm wondering why so many tests resulted in missing OpenBSD? Pgbench, phpcompilation, git -- all those are in OpenBSD ports tree hence buildable/runable on OBSD...
            Otherwise thanks for attempt on comparison!

Karel

Comment

Interesting and weird results, from a 'see what the actual OS impact is' standpoint, the Go tests would be the ideal ones, since it's the exact same compiler with the exact same optimizations across all operating systems.

Still the results are so different between Linux and the BSD's, with the DragonflyBSD build benchmark really sticking out. But the Go garbage benchmark also shows a huge difference, much more than I would reasonably expect from any OS architectural differences, these Go tests (except for build) are in-memory stress tests so disk I/O should not be a factor here.

Anyway thanks for the benchmarks!

Comment

Very interesting results. DragonflyBSD is finally putting up a fight!

Comment

The one result that stands out to me here is OpenMandriva because it has a very bipolar performance, it's either faster than the other Linux distros sitting near Clear Linux speeds or slower than the rest. Any ideas as to what's causing that?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I was reporting a typo.

Comment

Working...
                    X