Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.18 Lands Chromebook Tablet Switch Driver

Phoronix: Linux 4.18 Lands Chromebook Tablet Switch Driver

Another one of the hardware support additions for the now in-development Linux 4.18 kernel is finally the mainlining of the Chromebook Tablet Switch Driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile most Chromebooks are riding on some flavor of the Linux 3.x kernel. Only a handful are on the 4.4 kernel and even that is 2.5 years old. It has 133 patch releases on it though at least (wow that's a lot). I wonder when they will switch to 4.14?

Comment

Xaero_Vincent I agree. I've got a Chromebook Plus (arm cortex a72/a53 rockchip chipset) and it's one of the few running 4.4. I recently noticed it *can* run mainline, but not reliably (it won't even boot half the time). The official chromeos git has a 4.14 branch, but I don't know if they intend to push the current devices to it or just use it for new devices. There's not a whole lot of benefit for them to update old devices to a newer kernel, they just backport everything.

Fortunately the mainline kernel gods haven't forgotten about Chromebooks and are actively developing for them. I'm hoping I can run a mainline kernel within the coming months without playing the reboot lottery.

Comment

Working...
      X