Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dota 2 Vulkan Performance Across MacOS, Windows 10 & Linux

Phoronix: Dota 2 Vulkan Performance Across MacOS, Windows 10 & Linux

Last week Valve released their long-awaited Vulkan renderer for Dota 2 on macOS by making use of the MoltenVK driver they facilitated its open-sourcing of earlier in the year for bringing Vulkan to macOS/iOS via this wrapper layer to map Vulkan calls to Apple Metal drivers. The initial benchmarks of Vulkan'ized Dota 2 on Mac were quite compelling while for your viewing pleasure today are some additional data points.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

OpenGL and VulkanL
    It is not mentioned, but I have a test request. Power usage under idle and work by using WattsUp.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 05 June 2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Doesn't macOS NOT support Vulkan?
      What kind of sorcery is this?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
        MoltenVK which Valve basically bought and open sourced. It allows Vulkan to be run over Metal.

Comment

As covered in several articles, the MoltenVK library used by Dota 2 (and others) allows using a majority of the Vulkan API that then maps to using the Metal drivers.

MoltenVK has been in development for years but thanks to Valve (presumably financial incentive) it was open-sourced earlier this year.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post

MoltenVK which Valve basically bought and open sourced. It allows Vulkan to be run over Metal.
            Wow!
            I knew about MoltenVK.
            But i never expected to have games running on it so soon...

Comment

Wow!
              I knew about MoltenVK.
              But i never expected to have games running on it so soon...
              See from the announcement in February: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...n-on-mac&num=1
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                See from the announcement in February: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...n-on-mac&num=1
                I thought MoltenVK was avaliable the same way Wayland has surpassed 1.0 or the same way we have Open Source nvidia drivers...
                Good to be wrong!

Comment

Yep, this Dota2 on Vulkan on mac OSX did come faster than expected. It's an important signal to the rest of the dev community that MoltenVK is viable.

I guess Valve started working on it some time back back as a POC, in order to check how effective moltenVK is. Based on that positive experience they probably decided we need to pay off these guys to open source it.

Performance looks good. At 1080p it's within 10% of ubuntu's native Vulkan performance.

now that it is out in the open with more contributions coming in I guess it will only get better in terms of features and performance.

Comment

My gosh is OpenGL on macOS absolute garbage. Apple PR makes it seem like it's just the nature of API to suck but really it's their Mac driver's implementation of it that's piss poor.

Comment

Working...
                    X