Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plenty Of Sound Changes To Be Heard With Linux 4.18

Phoronix: Plenty Of Sound Changes To Be Heard With Linux 4.18

Adding to the growing list of kernel changes for Linux 4.18 are a great deal of sound driver/subsystem updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While all of this is great news, I'm super psyched for "Audio support on the HP Spectre x360 laptop" - I've been hunting for a good linux laptop for a while now, and the x360 looks perfect in every way, EXCEPT that it could only utilise one of the four speakers under linux. If this means it is fixed, I'll be ordering a new laptop soon

Comment

Wow... Creative seems still to be around. And I had thought they had maneuvered themselves into the abyss with their driver politics (Lin / W32 regardless).
      I assume one day in the past the economy people must have taken the upper hand above the engineers there...
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        - Audio support on the HP Spectre x360 laptop.
        Wow, I thought the day would never come! I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post
          While all of this is great news, I'm super psyched for "Audio support on the HP Spectre x360 laptop" - I've been hunting for a good linux laptop for a while now, and the x360 looks perfect in every way, EXCEPT that it could only utilise one of the four speakers under linux. If this means it is fixed, I'll be ordering a new laptop soon
          First post? And promoting an HP laptop? Feels like spam to me, Michael

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

First post? And promoting an HP laptop? Feels like spam to me, Michael
            Nope, no affiliation with HP / other spammers, just recently discovered this page and registered today.

Also, been searching for a good linux laptop that suits my usecase (sd card, touchscreen, thunderbolt mainly) all year but all of them have some issues. XPS has the super badly positioned webcam and no USB-A, Yoga 920 has no sd card reader, zenbooks has no thunderbolt, and so on. HP's x360 had everything going for it except it has sound issues under linux, with that fixed it's imo the best choice for a linux laptop now, at least for me. Just wanted to show my appreciation for the people putting in the work on this, I honestly though this would never be fixed.

Comment

Nope, no affiliation with HP / other spammers, just recently discovered this page and registered today.

Also, been searching for a good linux laptop that suits my usecase (sd card, touchscreen, thunderbolt mainly) all year but all of them have some issues. XPS has the super badly positioned webcam and no USB-A, Yoga 920 has no sd card reader, zenbooks has no thunderbolt, and so on. HP's x360 had everything going for it except it has sound issues under linux, with that fixed it's imo the best choice for a linux laptop now, at least for me. Just wanted to show my appreciation for the people putting in the work on this, I honestly though this would never be fixed.
              Ok cool, appreciate you following up and clarifying. Cheers

Comment

Precisely describes my situation. I've been anxiously following the sound issue on Linux since last year.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post

Precisely describes my situation. I've been anxiously following the sound issue on Linux since last year.
                  After the sound issue is seemingly resolved, I started looking into the HP laptops a bit more. I have to say it doesn't look all rosey though :/. The cooling solution is sub-par, so it seems like fan noise is an issue as well as the performance being somewhere in the range of 10-20% below for example the XPS 13 despite them having the same CPU. Really, really annoying :/.

Comment

Perhaps the CPU can be undervolted? Helped a lot on my X120e.

Comment

Working...
                    X