Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.3 Alpha Released With New Features

Phoronix: PHP 7.3 Alpha Released With New Features

PHP 7.3 Alpha 1 is available today as the PHP developers kick off their next release cycle for getting this next version of PHP7 out by the end of 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    - A net_get_interfaces() function to enumate network adapters cross platforms.

Comment

I had no idea it was still available for BeOS. But this makes me wonder if Haiku is officially supported.

Comment

It's too bad that the PHAR file format to package PHP applications never really materialized into something good. It was a promising ideas, but it was buggy and weird and difficult to work with and never really worked any good. It could have been cool.

The PHP syntax is quite nice and easy. The language does have OO but only for classes, not for types, so its not fully OO in the sense that everything is an object.

There is no real standard library, just a collection of random C functions, so its an incoherent, inconsistent, unpredictable mess.

Thanks to WordPress the language is very much alive and kicking.

Comment

As much as people like to hate on PHP it's still the best thing to throw together a quick MVC page and some scripting. Plus, the PHP frameworks are quite good nowadays so you don't have to reinvent the wheel but just follow the best practices.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            It's too bad that the PHAR file format to package PHP applications never really materialized into something good. It was a promising ideas, but it was buggy and weird and difficult to work with and never really worked any good. It could have been cool.

The PHP syntax is quite nice and easy. The language does have OO but only for classes, not for types, so its not fully OO in the sense that everything is an object.

There is no real standard library, just a collection of random C functions, so its an incoherent, inconsistent, unpredictable mess.

One might argue that the 5000+ built in functions are the standard library - there is a bunch of other standard stuff too. I will agree that the naming conventions from the early days are a tad... eclectic

I do however wish that wordpress got a makeover. It's a mess under the bonnet.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

One might argue that the 5000+ built in functions are the standard library - there is a bunch of other standard stuff too. I will agree that the naming conventions from the early days are a tad... eclectic

I do however wish that wordpress got a makeover. It's a mess under the bonnet.
              Don't forget Needle & Haystack issue, or is that Haystack & Needle?

As for Wordpress, they have been giving it makeover, being that they've made it pretty in the display. They need to tear it down, toss everything out, forget about backwards compatibility, get out of the early 2000's.

Comment

i don’t think you need to think about the stdlib that much if you use laravel or symphony. personally if I manage to find even just a good 30% of the wp plugins and php libs I use il just migrate to elixir

Comment

Originally posted by ellisgl View Post

Don't forget Needle & Haystack issue, or is that Haystack & Needle?
                  That's why having a good IDE is a valuable tool

Originally posted by ellisgl View Post
                  As for Wordpress, they have been giving it makeover, being that they've made it pretty in the display. They need to tear it down, toss everything out, forget about backwards compatibility, get out of the early 2000's.
                  I do believe you are preaching to the choir here.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I'm not so convinced that this is a good thing, nor that Wordpress is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X