DM Writecache Target Merged For Linux 4.18, Helping Databases & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM Writecache Target Merged For Linux 4.18, Helping Databases & More

Phoronix: DM Writecache Target Merged For Linux 4.18, Helping Databases & More

There is at least one interesting feature with the just-merged Device Mapper (DM) changes for the Linux 4.18 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is fantastic! The write speed and latency of SSDs, the size of HDDs.

I have recently switched some of my servers to use the ext4 external journal feature on SSDs, and it gives me 100x faster fsync performance (great for databases and other services that need to guarantee durable data and thus call fsync()).

This is basically a generalised version of that which works for any file system.

Comment

Michael Could we have a benchmark of this vs ext4 external journals?

(Especially measuring fsync performance, e.g. using `dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=512 count=100 oflag=sync` and postgres/sqlite tests?)
      Last edited by nh2_; 13 June 2018, 07:06 AM. Reason: added ideas on what to benchmark exactly

Comment

If I remember correctly, ext4 external journal uses some KB of kernel memory for every MB of its size, so it cannot be scaled indefinitely. DM implementation likely doesn't have this limitation.

I've looked at the patch and it seems it's already written with pmem and dax in mind. I'm sure RedHat is targeting "Intel Optane Memory" with it. Looking forward to get some to play with.

Comment

pegasus If you find a reference to the ext4 external journal thing, I would be very interested in that!

Comment

It was a discussion on linux-kernel with Tweedy or Tytso some 15 years ago I think ...

Comment

Originally posted by nh2_ View Post
              Michael Could we have a benchmark of this... postgres/sqlite tests?)
              Yes, please. MySQL too, if possible.

Comment

Working...
              X