Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Librem 5 Continues Working On Its Wayland Software Stack, Testing Vibration Motors, Chargers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Librem 5 Continues Working On Its Wayland Software Stack, Testing Vibration Motors, Chargers

Phoronix: Librem 5 Continues Working On Its Wayland Software Stack, Testing Vibration Motors, Chargers

Purism has published their latest progress report on the Librem 5 privacy-minded Linux-powered smartphone that they still hope to begin shipping next January...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, but I feel like they could have joined efforts with Plasma Mobile to avoid GTK mess. Oh, well.

Comment

just 720 × 1440
      This is plenty. I have a 480x800 phone that looks just nice (and performs OK with software rendering, plus the battery lasts a lot longer).

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        This is plenty. I have a 480x800 phone that looks just nice (and performs OK with software rendering, plus the battery lasts a lot longer).
        I agree. My nexus 6 has a 1440p screen, and it's completely overkill and frankly a waste of resources for many applications. As long as the screen is good quality, with good contrast and response rate, I'll be happy with the specified resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Nice, but I feel like they could have joined efforts with Plasma Mobile to avoid GTK mess. Oh, well.
          Maybe they wanted to avoid the QT trolls, like ... um ... let me try to remember the last time I bumped into one. Oh yeah. Like YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by edenist View Post

I agree. My nexus 6 has a 1440p screen, and it's completely overkill and frankly a waste of resources for many applications. As long as the screen is good quality, with good contrast and response rate, I'll be happy with the specified resolution.
            This is an ultrawide 720p screen though, your Nexus 6 has more than three times as many pixels. Should still be plenty but the comparison is a bit off.

Comment

> 720 × 1440
              > cameras
              > two of the factors important to many potential consumers

No man, we don't give a damn. We want a free smartphone.

Comment

Still assessing components? I thought they'd be done with that by now, but apparently not. With the lead times between finally nailing down a selection of components and any volume of fully working devices coming back from manufacturing I'm starting to get worried if they'll be able to have anything beyond a few dozen prototype devices before January. Getting the software at least on the same level as SailfishOS when the first devices shipped is obviously doable, it's not much good when the only available hardware consists of the NXP evaluation kits they're using right now for software development.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
                  > 720 × 1440
                  > cameras
                  > two of the factors important to many potential consumers

No man, we don't give a damn. We want a free smartphone.
                  I give a damn. If it also happens to be free, that's a nice bonus.

On a side note, even if Purism completely fails to deliver, someone will be able to use the work they already did and build upon it later.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Maybe they wanted to avoid the QT trolls
                    That doesn't make GTK less of a mess overall.

Comment

Working...
                    X