Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CVE-2018-3665: Lazy State Save/Restore As The Latest CPU Speculative Execution Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CVE-2018-3665: Lazy State Save/Restore As The Latest CPU Speculative Execution Issue

Phoronix: CVE-2018-3665: Lazy State Save/Restore As The Latest CPU Speculative Execution Issue

The latest speculative execution vulnerability affecting modern CPUs has now been made public: Lazy State Save/Restore, a.k.a. CVE-2018-3665...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tildearrow
    Seriously, why are they disclosing these vulnerabilities one by one? Couldn't they disclose them all at once? (unless the reason is because they haven't found them all yet)

I'm just so worried that this Spectre hell may eventually end up having a 99% performance impact on mitigations...
    This latest issue appears to have been uncovered by Amazon Germany. I think there is just a ton of researchers working on speculative execution testing, etc, since Spectre and so more and more things are uncovered with time.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

damn this keeps going, at least this one looks minor and easily fixable

Comment

Here is the source for the quote inside that article: http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2018/q2/189

Comment

x86 is a mistake. Intel is a mistake!

Comment

Intel is not a mistake, to the contrary, they are industry leader. Mistake was not having serious competition to challenge them for so so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
              x86 is a mistake. Intel is a mistake!
              Intel tried to fix the mess in the move to 64-bit with Itanium. AMD went and gave the market an easy way out so we're stuck with x86.

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post

Intel tried to fix the mess in the move to 64-bit with Itanium. AMD went and gave the market an easy way out so we're stuck with x86.
                Uhum, Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post

I don't think Itanium was ever going to be aimed at the commodity market...

Comment

My bad. s/Itanium/IA-64/

Comment

Working...
                    X