Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binutils 2.31 Slated For Fedora 29

Phoronix: Binutils 2.31 Slated For Fedora 29

To little surprise given that Fedora Linux always strives to ship with a bleeding-edge GNU toolchain, for the Fedora 29 release this fall they are planning to make use of the yet-to-be-released Binutils 2.31...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

*Sees mention of Binutils...has flashbacks to building Binutils, Glibc and GCC for LFS...shudders...

The amount of time I've spent on this stuff, I really wish I understood it better. I get it in principle, but the ins and outs of linkers still seems like a dark art to me in some respects. I got LFS up-and-running once, I've had a few failed attempts at doing it since, but I'm going to give it another whirl at some point, I'm still motivated to learn more of this.

Comment

Binutils 2.29, gcc 8.1 and gdb 8.1 pretty much are an infernal trio of weird edgecase bugs for me.
      butils throws away global initializers, gcc colossaly messes up debug information with lto, and gdb chokes to death with it. (Reproducable but did not manage to make small examples for reports)
      hope this is all cleared up soon...

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
        Binutils 2.29, gcc 8.1 and gdb 8.1 pretty much are an infernal trio of weird edgecase bugs for me.
        butils throws away global initializers, gcc colossaly messes up debug information with lto, and gdb chokes to death with it. (Reproducable but did not manage to make small examples for reports)
        hope this is all cleared up soon...
        As far as I know, debugging symbols are not currently compatible with LTO; I don't know when this will change.

Comment

Working...
        X