No announcement yet.

Equus WHITEBOX OPEN: A Line Of Coreboot/LinuxBoot-Ready Xeon Scalable Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equus WHITEBOX OPEN: A Line Of Coreboot/LinuxBoot-Ready Xeon Scalable Servers

Phoronix: Equus WHITEBOX OPEN: A Line Of Coreboot/LinuxBoot-Ready Xeon Scalable Servers

Equus Compute Solutions has announced the release of their new WHITEBOX OPEN server platform that is intended to be cost-optimized and an open hardware platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LinuxBoot is already in a product, we are breaking records.

Comment

I don't see any public price listing and I don't feel like contacting sales just to have curiosity satisfied. I'm happy to see this, but it would be nice to know the financial price of these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
        I don't see any public price listing and I don't feel like contacting sales just to have curiosity satisfied. I'm happy to see this, but it would be nice to know the financial price of these things.
        Will cost a few thousand $ for the basic ones, and going up from that, as that's the price range of all servers.

I doubt that adding coreboot or Linuxboot changes much in the price, as it is so high to begin with.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 21 June 2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I've asked for a quote on their lowest spec'd model, the R1560 1U 4 Bay Xeon Scalable. If I get a price I'll let you know.

Comment

Huh... For once someone doing this that isn't selling ancient crappy hardware. They're doing a good job hiding what they're actually selling but https://ark.intel.com/products/97338/Intel-C621-Chipset that chipset means that these actually are modern Xeons.

Comment

I am stunned that Equus even still exists at all. I remember picking up a bunch of their whiteboxes at one of the "factories" 20 years ago. They struck me as just another assembler. Last time I heard from them they won some HP assembly deals back in 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                Huh... For once someone doing this that isn't selling ancient crappy hardware. They're doing a good job hiding what they're actually selling but https://ark.intel.com/products/97338/Intel-C621-Chipset that chipset means that these actually are modern Xeons.
                I got a quote - Twin Intel Xeon Silver 4108 1.8ghz 11mb 8core (16 w/hyperthread) 85w, Crucial 64gb DDR4 2666 ECC 1.2v, 4 SSD's - Micron 5100 Pro 1.92TB, Tyan board 650 Watt with twin onboard Gigabyte network cards. Roughly $6250 before tax and delivery (includes 3 year warranty). You can move up to NVMe drives for about $8850. Probably my quote is high, because I asked for just one unit for a small server room that we run. Bigger companies and quantity purchasers could probably do better.
                Last edited by andyprough; 23 June 2018, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  I got a quote - Twin Intel Xeon Silver 4108 1.8ghz 11mb 8core (16 w/hyperthread) 85w, Crucial 64gb DDR4 2666 ECC 1.2v, 4 SSD's - Micron 5100 Pro 1.92TB, Tyan board 650 Watt with twin onboard Gigabyte network cards. Roughly $6250 before tax and delivery (includes 3 year warranty). You can move up to NVMe drives for about $8850. Probably my quote is high, because I asked for just one unit for a small server room that we run. Bigger companies and quantity purchasers could probably do better.
                  With Coreboot or LinuxBoot?

Comment

Working...
                  X