No announcement yet.

App Launching From GNOME Shell Now More Robust Under Memory Pressure & Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• App Launching From GNOME Shell Now More Robust Under Memory Pressure & Faster

Phoronix: App Launching From GNOME Shell Now More Robust Under Memory Pressure & Faster

Right now on systems with low amounts of available system memory, GNOME Shell can sometimes fail to launch applications due to an error over not being able to allocate memory in the fork process. With the latest rounds of Glib optimizations, this should no longer be the case...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> Right now on systems with low amounts of available system memory.
    I ask myself if 8gb of Ram is enough for just the Gnome-Shell ?

Comment

This sounds great, I'm quite exited for the performance optimizations coming with gnome 3.30! Considering my primary use-case is gnome-shell with firefox, the fact that both of them currently make big advancements has already had a great effect on my personal desktop experience.
      Last edited by treba; 22 June 2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        > Right now on systems with low amounts of available system memory.
        I ask myself if 8gb of Ram is enough for just the Gnome-Shell ?
        I'll admit I laughed. But you know how important every MB of RAM is when you run VMs with limited resources.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

I'll admit I laughed. But you know how important every MB of RAM is when you run VMs with limited resources.
          Me too. I have 8gb of ram, tried Fedora GNOME and it was a no go. After a few browser tabs, my progamming IDE and some docker, my laptop completely died out of ram with full swap. Gets worse overtime and memory not coming back when you close programs.

Would have gone XFCE but im more productive on KDE, which manages memory way better nowadays.

I'm willing to test GNOME again with the memory optimizations, small touch screens work better with it, but not on its current memory consumption state.

Comment

Hm, been using gnome for year now and even with firefox and many tabs it usually doesnt cross 3gb (out of 16). Weird.
            I thought this one was rather about rasberry pi and the like

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
              Gets worse overtime and memory not coming back when you close programs.
              If you have enough free memory, you can disable and then re-enable your swap to flush it.
              Don't forget the kernel use free memory for caching purpose; you can still clean the memory cache with
              Code:
              sysctl vm.drop_caches=1

Comment

I know

That's why Fedora launched yet another Workstation type of thing called: "Workstation boxed". You'll receive a boxed version of Fedora Workstation. Including 5 DVDs and 2x8gb RAM sticks for just a small amount of cash. Covering the production and shipping costs. There will also be a limited collectors edition around, together with card that got signed by all GNOME developers.

​​​​​​
                Originally posted by treba View Post
                Hm, been using gnome for year [...] it usually doesnt cross 3gb (out of 16).
                From what direction ? x > 3gb or x < 3gb ?

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
                  [...] small touch screens work better with it, but not on its current memory consumption state.
                  See it positive! Gnome-Shell is also a malware protector. It allocates so much RAM for itself, that nothing else will be able to run.

Comment

GNOME isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions "running a VM with limited resources" though.

Comment

Working...
                    X