Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Ubuntu Hardware/Software Survey Data

Phoronix: Early Ubuntu Hardware/Software Survey Data

With the Ubuntu Hardware/Software Survey that was introduced in Ubuntu 18.04 and presented to users upon new installations, it's been collecting data since the Bionic Beaver launch in April but the data hasn't been made public up to this point. Viewing the survey data is currently being worked on for the Ubuntu 18.10 cycle and today a first look at these numbers have been shared...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A bit odd they count how many CPUs you have, but not cores or threads.

Comment

Looks like there are a lot of laptops in the statistics. No surprise really, as I've opted in two laptops myself. I would have opted in my desktop for the survey had I not changed to Debian Sid instead of upgrading to 18.04 (from 17.10) which would have added another multi-GPU user, but I don't feel like Ubuntu offers me anything Debian doesn't, and the stuff that Ubuntu does differently to Debian all feels unnecessary for me, and sometimes it's even caused more problems than it's done good, like introducing annoying and sometimes serious bugs which were never present upstream even in bleeding edge distros.

Comment

I opt in for my personal machine/laptop, but on my servers I opt out because on a server I do not want anything running that is not really necessary.

Comment

The average Ubuntu desktop install takes 18 minutes.
          Why so long? My Arch installs only take 10 and that's to get a full desktop up and running.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
            Why so long? My Arch installs only take 10 and that's to get a full desktop up and running.
            Maybe because you can surf the web during the Ubuntu installation and some people didn't notice that they need to press restart to finish the installation?

Comment

RAM is the most important statistic to take out of this imho, particularly with these guys going full blown GNOME, which eats more ram than Windows on boot.

Not sure the meaning of Single core? does that mean these people are running laptops? or AMD cores/Intel no HT?

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
                RAM is the most important statistic to take out of this imho, particularly with these guys going full blown GNOME, which eats more ram than Windows on boot.

Not sure the meaning of Single core? does that mean these people are running laptops? or AMD cores/Intel no HT?
                Single CPU, not single cpu core as far as I could tell

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
                  Originally posted by tzui View Post

Maybe because you can surf the web during the Ubuntu installation and some people didn't notice that they need to press restart to finish the installation?
                  This sounds about right. Installed from CD takes about this long. Last install I did was with a USB drive and that went much quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post

This sounds about right. Installed from CD takes about this long. Last install I did was with a USB drive and that went much quicker.
                    Expected statistics.

Speaking of USB drives, a 32Gb 3.0 thumb drive, I did a complete Manjaro installation from DVD installation to USB using Gnome it was interesting. Now to try that with the Xfce version. It will be much more responsive. A scenario where 16GB of ram and no swap becomes handy. Novel and fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X