Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOMedia AV1 Codec v1.0.0 Appears Ready For Release

Phoronix: AOMedia AV1 Codec v1.0.0 Appears Ready For Release

The AV1 1.0.0 royalty-free video codec now appears to be firmed up and ready for its official debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I’m pretty happy with hevc, being you know, already on the market.. Having hardware decode/encode support on all my devices.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
      I’m pretty happy with hevc, being you know, already on the market.. Having hardware decode/encode support on all my devices.
      As long as you accept it's full of patents, royalties and closed as heck.

Comment

The tough bit will be convincing people to continue to support it, and distribute content in it. The cost of doing so is not yet known, and it's already very high.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how far they can get the software decode complexity down.

Comment

I setup Windows recently to run some software, and when I tried to play some HEVC content I was surprised it didn't work, not even on VLC. I think this later turned out to be something with how my android phone encoded the 4k HEVC content as I still couldn't get that to play properly, but got some other samples to in the end. It turns out Windows doesn't provide this codec support itself, they originally did but removed it in an update. Now you go to the Windows Store to grab it. If you built the machine instead of it being provided by a OEM vendor like Dell, Asus, Acer, etc, Windows Store will only show the paid version requiring about 1 USD to be able to watch HEVC videos. The OEMs have a free version of it, if you have a web link to it, the store will then show it, but otherwise wouldn't appear in search.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

As long as you accept it's full of patents, royalties and closed as heck.
              I don't understand this. I'm able to encode my video to HEVC with x265 that comes freely in the open FFmpeg as well as play it back on my HTPC with the open FFmpeg or FFdshow which are also free.

Who is paying the licenses and what about this is super closed?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

It'll be interesting to see how far they can get the software decode complexity down.
                They'll be able to get it down some more, but I expect most its success, from an encoding perspective, will rely on hardware assisted encoding. Desktop encoders for professionals and Amazon is already in the game with that

Comment

Originally posted by SirMaster View Post

I don't understand this. I'm able to encode my video to HEVC with x265 that comes freely in the open FFmpeg as well as play it back on my HTPC with the open FFmpeg or FFdshow which are also free.

Who is paying the licenses and what about this is super closed?
                  OEM Win10 computer builders and phone/camera manufacturers pay the royalty fees for the average consumer and then pass the cost on to them in the form of higher prices. If you become at all visible above the noise floor of ordinary everyday people, they may sue you for unpaid royalties.

Comment

Just in time for next month's specification and reference implementation submission by the IETF working group who've been looking into codecs:

Those who claim that HEVC doesn't have problems with licenses might want to read what the founder and chair of MPEG has to say about it being unusable because of the threat posed by the 3 patent pools plus independent patent holders:
                    http://blog.chiariglione.org/a-crisi...nd-a-solution/
                    Last edited by anth; 25 June 2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X