Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi's Raspbian Gets New Setup Wizard, New PDF Viewer

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi's Raspbian Gets New Setup Wizard, New PDF Viewer

The Raspberry Pi folks have released a new version of their Debian-based Raspbian Linux distribution to end out June...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2 years and a half after release, still no official 64bit support for the raspberry pi 3 from Raspbian. What a joke

Comment

Well, Chromium 65 should pretty much consume all the heap available on the Pi.

I stumbled onto yet another SBC with Arduino support, and yes it runs Linux just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
        2 years and a half after release, still no official 64bit support for the raspberry pi 3 from Raspbian. What a joke
        That's not anywhere near what their main target users thinks about. Also it has too little RAM for that to be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          I stumbled onto yet another SBC with Arduino support, and yes it runs Linux just fine.
          I would be worried if it did not, its run by tablet-grade Intel hardware, and has a normal UEFI firmware just like tablets.
          It's an Intel Z8350 (high-ish end Atom) in their cheaper unit, controlling an Arduino-grade Atmega microcontroller over serial or something.

And it costs a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            That's not anywhere near what their main target users thinks about. Also it has too little RAM for that to be worth it.
            Yup, sadly there is a bit of software out there going 64-bit only (e.g. WiredTiger, which is a dep of MongoDB, which is a dep of lots of things), which is frustrating if you're trying to set up a Pi as a mini server or similar. You can yakshhave for a few hours stripping out these deps and building your own packages but I don't have time for that. I prefer to just grab an Odroid C2 and put Arch Arm on it these days (of course I could put an aarch64 Arch build on a Pi 3 too, but the Odroid is better value IMO).

Comment

My rant about Rapsbian are the old packages. They sync with Debian far too seldom. Currently I'm bit by mariadb-server having a problem that I believe is fixed in Debian (I have not tested). I would build it myself but Raspbian had too little memory. I should learn to cross compile it, I hope cross compiling debs is not too hard.

I will probably switch to Debian when buster is out depending on whether it supports Raspberry 2 V1.2 well enough. I don't need graphics just that it works reliably.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                My rant about Rapsbian are the old packages. They sync with Debian far too seldom. Currently I'm bit by mariadb-server having a problem that I believe is fixed in Debian (I have not tested). I would build it myself but Raspbian had too little memory. I should learn to cross compile it, I hope cross compiling debs is not too hard.

I will probably switch to Debian when buster is out depending on whether it supports Raspberry 2 V1.2 well enough. I don't need graphics just that it works reliably.
                That's the main reason I've moved on to Arch. Well, that goes for all my machines, not just ARM. Even Debian stable itself moves like molasses (that's the goal).

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
                  Yup, sadly there is a bit of software out there going 64-bit only (e.g. WiredTiger, which is a dep of MongoDB, which is a dep of lots of things), which is frustrating if you're trying to set up a Pi as a mini server or similar. You can yakshhave for a few hours stripping out these deps and building your own packages but I don't have time for that. I prefer to just grab an Odroid C2 and put Arch Arm on it these days (of course I could put an aarch64 Arch build on a Pi 3 too, but the Odroid is better value IMO).
                  My point is that Raspbian is there for the "main target" of the Raspi, which is being a "better Arduino", which means at most running a few applications with glue code in scripting languages.

Everyone and their dog supports Raspberry, Raspbian isn't the only thing you can run on it.
                  You cited Arch, but there is also OpenSUSE https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi3 (which offers 64bit images)

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

Cross-compiling Debian packages on Debian is doable and you can find guides for that. Cross-compiling stuff that isn't already a Debian package is a PITA (in general).

You can try OpenSUSE images for the raspi 2 too, as Leap lasts a year or so and it should not have ancient packages, but it is a "frozen release" so it is stable (not that tumbleweed is unstable, but on a server device I understand the need to not touch it unless it's really necessary) https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi2

Comment

Working...
                    X