Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Use For June 2018 Comes In At 0.52%

Phoronix: Steam Linux Use For June 2018 Comes In At 0.52%

The Steam Survey numbers are now available for June 2018 and indicate at least on a percentage basis a small decline in the Linux gaming market-share...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Almost a year since I first posted this, and I still haven't gotten a survey since switching my gaming rig to linux.

Comment

On my end the survey crashed the whole steam everytime it poped up... Really strange... Anyways I have bought like 50games (only those that support linux) but I dont have time to play them.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
        Almost a year since I first posted this, and I still haven't gotten a survey since switching my gaming rig to linux.
        I still don't get why they have a survey like his in the first place. Put a checkbox in the GUI that says [ ] Submit anonymized hardware information to Steams botnet monthly and you're done. It's not like Steam would need to pop up some window and ask me any question anyway. It's not like anyone would protest wildly as long as it defaults to being opt-in.

Comment

I just purchased and started playing Northgard. Not AAA, but looks interesting enough.

Comment

still no Fallout 4, still no Witcher 3, still no MGSV. These are 3 year old games already.

Comment

This is in line what other games are reporting. XPlane11 is reporting 0.9% Linux users, so it's not a big difference. Most of the "average doe" type users could care less about what OS they are running if they can play their games, and wouldn't be interested in switching whatsoever. Linux users are the technical computer oriented nerds, that's who we are. And no your grandma doesn't count because YOU switched her PC to Linux!!

This is really only going to change once a Steam-based console that is successful is released. Without that, expect the % to be sub 1% for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                still no Fallout 4, still no Witcher 3, still no MGSV. These are 3 year old games already.
                The day you'll see Bethesda release a game on Linux is probably the same day EA decides the customer is more important than money.

Comment

You would think that more gamers would have switched to Linux by now? Linux gaming should be better now than it ever was before, Wine has gained more game support, there are several actively maintained DirectX-to-OpenGL and DirectX-to-Vulkan translators(some of which even work with Wine), GPU support is getting better(though support for brand-new GPU's is still bad), Sound problems are getting better, X.Org is being replaced with Wayland which AFAIK has better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post
                    You would think that more gamers would have switched to Linux by now? Linux gaming should be better now than it ever was before, Wine has gained more game support, there are several actively maintained DirectX-to-OpenGL and DirectX-to-Vulkan translators(some of which even work with Wine), GPU support is getting better(though support for brand-new GPU's is still bad), Sound problems are getting better, X.Org is being replaced with Wayland which AFAIK has better performance.
                    From my perspective, things are getting worse. Ubuntu 18.04 or Mint 19 give me problems. For example, I just installed Mint 19 on my FX 8350 and my usb2.0 ports wouldn't work. Turns out I had to enable IOMMU in the bios, but now my USB 3.0 ports didn't work. I had to enter some stuff into grub to get it working. This shit should be working without me needing to find a fix that should have been applied already to the OS. I have to install sksu to get certain apps to work like realvnc server.

GPU drivers are another mess. Oibaf PPA has been broken for weeks and installing it will just prevent your system from booting. My old M1710 laptop with an Nvidia 7900 GT can't use the Nvidia 304 drivers, and the already included Nouveau drivers are so bad that I can't even start Steam. Minecraft on those drivers give me horizontal bands in image. On my HTPC running Mint 19 with a Radeon HD 7850 I'm going to install the AMDGPU-pro driver, assuming I figure out how cause the damn thing just gives me a list of commands when I run the script. As great as the open source AMD drivers are, the Oibaf and Podaka PPA's have ruined a number of OS installations cause something happens randomly that decides to uninstall most of my apps. That has happened more times than I care to remember. If it isn't that then the PPA's prevent my system from booting back up unless I ppa-purge them out.

Oh yea and the open source drivers don't have fully working OpenGl 4.5 for compat profiles. So Linux Dying Light doesn't run unless you do some trick. CEMU doesn't work at all because of this. Doom 2016 doesn't work in OpenGL. Oh, and RADV in the open source drivers isn't accessible unless you run the amdgpu driver, and the amdgpu opengl driver is really buggy for me.

We have serious problems here.
                    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 02 July 2018, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X