Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Isn't The Year Of The GNU Hurd

Phoronix: 2018 Isn't The Year Of The GNU Hurd

We are now half-way through 2018 and the work on GNU Hurd and related components like GNU March have been very light...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hurd is the dream (nightmare) of a boy with problems.
    It's a failure, nothing more, nothing less.
    1991-2018. RIP.

Comment

I don't want to deny any project its existence, but I do wonder why they keep developing it. Perhaps it's more of a research/training project at this point?

Comment

2018 is the year of the linux desktop.

Like every other year in the past decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Gymnasiast View Post
          I don't want to deny any project its existence, but I do wonder why they keep developing it.
          When insane ideology (all "pure", no external FSF developers, etc) substitutes real-world code development, this is the result.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Like every other year in the past decade.
            This is not about Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by boboviz View Post
              When insane ideology (all "pure", no external FSF developers, etc) substitutes real-world code development, this is the result.
              The group of developers of the Hurd is not only formed by FSF members or developers.

The Hurd is low priority for GNU, as they already have a kernel: Linux-libre.

Last edited by Filiprino; 03 July 2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                I know to a lot of people this is a really funny running joke, but the whole "Year of the Linux desktop" thing actually stems from people just talking about Linux finally being ready for every day commercial desktop use back in 1998.

On topic: Kind of late to the party/funeral are we? Because it's been common knowledge for years that despite years and years of Stallman trying to downplay the importance of the Linux kernel and the work of Torvalds, GNU Hurd has been pretty much dead for over a decade and even the most ardent free software fanatics are just using Linux kernels with anything that has even the whiff of closed source code removed (a.k.a Linux-libre).

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post

The group of developers of the Hurd is not only formed by FSF members or developers.
                  At the beginning, yes, only FSF. At the end, also other developers.

The Hurd is low priority for GNU, as they already have a kernel: Linux-libre.
                  Rotlf, linux-libre. A "purified copy" of linux kernel. Who cares about?

Comment

Originally posted by Gymnasiast View Post
                    I don't want to deny any project its existence, but I do wonder why they keep developing it. Perhaps it's more of a research/training project at this point?
                    The FSF keeps the project in order to be in for the long haul. Who knows what will happen to Linux or any of the BSD:s in 100 years and if things go bad for some reason then FSF cannot rely on external developers to create an open kernel so they need to have one of their own. Naturally with the rise of the Linux kernel the need for Hurd in the near and quite distant future diminishes and so does the active development.

Comment

Working...
                    X