Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral's GameMode Is On Its Way To Fedora

Phoronix: Feral's GameMode Is On Its Way To Fedora

Feral's GameMode is soon going to be within easy each for Linux gamers running Red Hat's Fedora Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think you can do the same thing with acpid & cpufreqd.

you can create a new acpi state "gamemode" that switch to performance and overclock your CPU/disable power saving with zenstates. Also you can overclock your Radeon from here if you did not OC with a bios mod like me.

You can trigger the new acpi state with cpufreqd if I remember, and it can detect new process (so you have to work here and find the process name of all your games).

Dont forget to create a new state for normal mode with put back normal clock and turn back on power saving.

Added bonus : Don't need systemd

Comment

schedtool is another good alternative daemon which supports directories on the configuration file. I have the .steam directory configured to have better cpu priority, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
        I think you can do the same thing with acpid & cpufreqd.

you can create a new acpi state "gamemode" that switch to performance and overclock your CPU/disable power saving with zenstates. Also you can overclock your Radeon from here if you did not OC with a bios mod like me.

You can trigger the new acpi state with cpufreqd if I remember, and it can detect new process (so you have to work here and find the process name of all your games).

Dont forget to create a new state for normal mode with put back normal clock and turn back on power saving.

Added bonus : Don't need systemd
        Doesn't everyone and their pet parrot use systemd at this point anyway?

Comment

made 2 scripts for steam, to raise priority and change scheduler and revert back after wards.
          then modify customer launcher settings in steam: script1 %command% script2
          Works like a clock. Just when using nice/renice, be carefull, modern implementation makes niceness useless. Disable group niceness first. If enough people ask - will share scrips and details.
          Last edited by dimko; 06 July 2018, 11:18 AM.

Comment

If I understand correctly, a background task waits for a game to run? Could something like this be used to enable a "performance mode" when transcoding with Plex, yet enable power savings when idle/not transcoding (direct streaming)? Recent update to Plex broke the transcoding task out as a separate process.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Doesn't everyone and their pet parrot use systemd at this point anyway?
              Did you heard of Gentoo Linux?

Comment

"But it's also been tasked as an update to be made available for existing Fedora 29 users"
                - This should be 'Fedora 28 users'

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                  schedtool is another good alternative daemon which supports directories on the configuration file. I have the .steam directory configured to have better cpu priority, etc...
                  Speaking of alternatives, we also have the tuned-adm.

Code:
                  # tuned-adm list
                  Available profiles:
                  - balanced                    - General non-specialized tuned profile
                  - desktop                     - Optimize for the desktop use-case
                  - latency-performance         - Optimize for deterministic performance at the cost of increased power consumption
                  - network-latency             - Optimize for deterministic performance at the cost of increased power consumption, focused on low latency network performance
                  - network-throughput          - Optimize for streaming network throughput, generally only necessary on older CPUs or 40G+ networks
                  - powersave                   - Optimize for low power consumption
                  - throughput-performance      - Broadly applicable tuning that provides excellent performance across a variety of common server workloads
                  - virtual-guest               - Optimize for running inside a virtual guest
                  - virtual-host                - Optimize for running KVM guests
                  Current active profile: balanced

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                    Originally posted by the_scx View Post

Speaking of alternatives, we also have the tuned-adm.

Code:
                    # tuned-adm list
                    Available profiles:
                    - balanced - General non-specialized tuned profile
                    - desktop - Optimize for the desktop use-case
                    - latency-performance - Optimize for deterministic performance at the cost of increased power consumption
                    - network-latency - Optimize for deterministic performance at the cost of increased power consumption, focused on low latency network performance
                    - network-throughput - Optimize for streaming network throughput, generally only necessary on older CPUs or 40G+ networks
                    - powersave - Optimize for low power consumption
                    - throughput-performance - Broadly applicable tuning that provides excellent performance across a variety of common server workloads
                    - virtual-guest - Optimize for running inside a virtual guest
                    - virtual-host - Optimize for running KVM guests
                    Current active profile: balanced
                    The end goal of GameMode is probably not just changing the CPU cheduler. As alternatives to the current version of GameMode however you are of course both correct (I use cpufreq myself since I have not bothered to download GameMode yet).

Comment

Working...
                    X