Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientific Linux 6.9 vs. 6.10 vs. 7.5 Benchmarks

Phoronix: Scientific Linux 6.9 vs. 6.10 vs. 7.5 Benchmarks

If you are still running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 or one of the downstreams like CentOS, Scientific Linux, or Oracle Linux, these benchmarks are for you in showing the performance of Scientific Linux 6.9 vs. 6.10 vs. 7.5 for getting an idea about the current performance of EL6/EL7.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While it's interesting to see the progression of what is basically a 9 year old distro to a 4 to 5 year old distro (sure some things got updated)... it'd be very interesting to put at least some modern high performing distro next to it so people can see how much they're losing by using old software.
    (also known as 'the price of stability'.... yes I know, that can be a very valid tradeoff, but at least the cost of it is interesting)

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post
      While it's interesting to see the progression of what is basically a 9 year old distro to a 4 to 5 year old distro (sure some things got updated)... it'd be very interesting to put at least some modern high performing distro next to it so people can see how much they're losing by using old software.
      (also known as 'the price of stability'.... yes I know, that can be a very valid tradeoff, but at least the cost of it is interesting)
      That's for the next article :P This was just a weekend article focused mainly on Scientific/EL given their recent updates and a larger comparison taking more time. Building upon the Scientific results, now in-progress on this Tyan server is a comparison of Scientific, CentOS (though should be the same as Scientific...), Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, openSUSE Leap, Fedora Server 28, and yes, Clear Linux. Happy to toss in any other modern 'enterprise' Linux distros as well. Given the recent release of FreeBSD 11.2, will likely toss that in too and so then will likely also toss in Windows Server 2016 with its latest updates for a fun roundabout.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80

How about popping in KVM / Xen / Virtualbox of a choice distro on the same hardware. (harder ones, but still free per se, hyper-v, vmware, and really relevant, serious clickbait)
        I do have some plans for updated virtualization tests that have long been on my TODO list but alas, only so much time in a day... I think this weekend I have been running tests for at least six different planned articles. Hopefully soon.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
        X