Pre-AMDGPU xf86-video-ati X.Org Driver Sees A Round Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-AMDGPU xf86-video-ati X.Org Driver Sees A Round Of Improvements

Phoronix: Pre-AMDGPU xf86-video-ati X.Org Driver Sees A Round Of Improvements

It's rare in recent years to have anything to report on xf86-video-ati, the X.Org driver for the display/2D experience for pre-GCN Radeon graphics cards. But this week has been a large batch of fixes and improvements for those using this DDX driver with pre-HD7000 series hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool but it does not change anything for me. Still on opensource driver my Radeon GPU fan is operating at 100% of rotation, causing a dreadful noise. This issue does not occur on old fglrx or on Windows... just on opensource radeon driver...

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
      Cool but it does not change anything for me. Still on opensource driver my Radeon GPU fan is operating at 100% of rotation, causing a dreadful noise. This issue does not occur on old fglrx or on Windows... just on opensource radeon driver...
      So, you've already applied those new patches and didn't see any improvements?

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

So, you've already applied those new patches and didn't see any improvements?
        No. Just not see anything related to this in this series of patch.

Comment

This would be due to the "Radeon" kernel DRM driver and not the xf86-video-ati X.Org/DDX driver.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

File a bug report. Against the kernel.
            It may be possible, though, that you have a quirky card with a cooling solution that possibly deviates from the usual so far that the driver can't correctly deal with it. Still, file a bug report incl. details about your very card.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

For what it's worth, I have an AMD (well, at the time ATI) Radeon HD 5770 video card and I'm running the open source driver, and I've never had a problem like this. What model do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

This would be due to the "Radeon" kernel DRM driver and not the xf86-video-ati X.Org/DDX driver.
                Yes, you're right.

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

File a bug report. Against the kernel.
                It may be possible, though, that you have a quirky card with a cooling solution that possibly deviates from the usual so far that the driver can't correctly deal with it. Still, file a bug report incl. details about your very card.
                Already done. Year ago...

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

For what it's worth, I have an AMD (well, at the time ATI) Radeon HD 5770 video card and I'm running the open source driver, and I've never had a problem like this. What model do you have?
                HD 5850, on fglrx can play even Dying Light on medium settings (1680x1050) with nice framerate. So for me I do not see the point of exchanging for a new one. Unfortunately, the problem with the fan's work is not encouraging to work with amd.

From what I suppose - AMD fglrx had a fan control system in the driver.
                This system also implemented in driver for gpu use radeonSI but not for basic radeon. This may be the problem, because then if driver not handle fan speed then the fan control is controlled via BIOS value.
                So maybe flash bios from other radeon hd5850 should help? Dont know... I'm just guessing.

Comment

Yes, you're right.

Already done. Year ago...

HD 5850, on fglrx can play even Dying Light on medium settings (1680x1050) with nice framerate. So for me I do not see the point of exchanging for a new one. Unfortunately, the problem with the fan's work is not encouraging to work with amd.

From what I suppose - AMD fglrx had a fan control system in the driver.hi
                  This system also implemented in driver for gpu use radeonSI but not for basic radeon. This may be the problem, because then if driver not handle fan speed then the fan control is controlled via BIOS value.
                  So maybe flash bios from other radeon hd5850 should help? Dont know... I'm just guessing.
                  I wonder why this hasn't been fixed.

bridgman Do you know about this or contact with someone able to check it?

Comment

Well, that is unfortunate. Seems like nobody yet took it up. I wonder if "bumping" it would help.

HD 5850, on fglrx can play even Dying Light on medium settings (1680x1050) with nice framerate.
                    Dying Light? That is quite impressive.

fan control is controlled via BIOS value. So maybe flash bios from other radeon hd5850 should help? Dont know... I'm just guessing.
                    Indeed, usually there should be some kind of fallback to a FW solution if there is no driver. E.g. fans spin up during BIOS mode POST to cool the GPU, since there can't be any operating system present that has a sophisticated driver. Iirc. there also was some Windows-tool RadeonBIOS or something, where one could modify some GPU-BIOS tables, it enabled you to clock down cards e.g. during watch-a-video mode. Maybe it still works on that card? I don't remember if this could also adjust fan speeds, but it might be worth a try. (Of course this will likely void warranty.)
                    Flashing an "entirely" different BIOS - if you have the tools for it - sounds very dangerous but not impossible. The question is which differences there are and which areas are initiated / controlled by this BIOS. You might end up bricking the card if it e..g. can't initialize VRAM or the likes.

Nevertheless, also try "bumping" that bug report. I also had some bug(s) in Libreoffice and Mozilla (!) that took long to be resolved.
                    Problem is that AMD people are busy with recent chips and probably on full capacity there, Airlied is also a lot more these days now in modern Vulkan stuff that in r600 which is your driver. It's also a problem that developers don't have access to hardware to test. Esp. if e.g. some vendor (like Asus, Sapphire, ...) might have messed up something in the GPU BIOS, the wiring, or used some special chip to control cooling.

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X