Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libinput Gets Reworked Trackpoint Acceleration

Phoronix: Libinput Gets Reworked Trackpoint Acceleration

Peter Hutterer at Red Hat is trying again to get trackpoint acceleration performing nicely under the libinput library so trackpoints behave nicely across Wayland, X.Org, and Mir systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope it works. At the moment the acceleration on the TrackPoint of ThinkPad x1 5th generation is really awful.

Comment

Currently I only use my trackpoint for scrolling because the acceleration is awful otherwise which makes the trackpad easier for most tasks.

I'll test out the patch later today.

Comment

Hm, it's always worked fine on my Thinkpad X1 4th gen. And on my desktop as well.

Comment

I am gonna need to dust off my IBM Thinkpad X40. I wish there were more laptops with trackpoints/pointing sticks out there. Currently there are only HP EliteBooks, HP Zbooks, Lenovo ThinkPads and the occasional Dell.

Comment

Originally posted by mmrezaie View Post
            I really hope it works. At the moment the acceleration on the TrackPoint of ThinkPad x1 5th generation is really awful.
            I'm pretty sure Peter would appreciate if you guys tested his changes and provided some feedback.

To me this pointer acceleration stuff is something that everyone is complaining about but nobody actually bothers to try to help, even by just testing and giving feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
              I am gonna need to dust off my IBM Thinkpad X40. I wish there were more laptops with trackpoints/pointing sticks out there. Currently there are only HP EliteBooks, HP Zbooks, Lenovo ThinkPads and the occasional Dell.
              The majority of "enterprise" laptops have them, but as they are not marketed to the general public, it appears they are scarce. But the trackpoints are out there, unfortunately only on expensive laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by mmrezaie View Post
                Same on the ThinkPad L380 Yoga (2018).

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                  To me this pointer acceleration stuff is something that everyone is complaining about but nobody actually bothers to try to help, even by just testing and giving feedback.
                  I couldn't help because I was using a Dell for a few years, but I'm back on a brand-new ThinkPad now and only experience the issue now.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

The majority of "enterprise" laptops have them, but as they are not marketed to the general public, it appears they are scarce. But the trackpoints are out there, unfortunately only on expensive laptops.
                    The ThinkPad line-up isn't marketed as an enterprise laptop where I live, and the same goes for the Elitebooks. ThinkPads are even demo'ed along the usual consumer laptops in some stores here and the Elitebooks are pretty much in every store.

Comment

Working...
                    X