Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Mutter Performance Tuning Work Landing For GNOME 3.30

Phoronix: More Mutter Performance Tuning Work Landing For GNOME 3.30

GNOME 3.30 is looking like Mutter will be quite fit with the ability to remove its dependence on X11 code and various performance tuning optimizations. On top of already landed performance work in recent months, more optimizations have just landed and it looks like more could still be on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I will try latest mutter on Odroid C2 so
    as 3.28 was slower then weston

Comment

Lets hope https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/merge_requests/73 arrives on time for 3.30. That should mostly fix the two-monitor problem

Comment

My 144hz monitor is screaming for that 60fps lock on Wayland to go away, but right now I'm stuck with it because x.org instantly freezes when trying to log in after upgrading to x.org 1.20 which forces me to use Wayland, which luckily is working right now. I'm not sure if the 60fps lock is just xwayland or if it affects everything, but it's bloody awful either way.

Comment

So much saying that wayland would magically fix everything and be more easy to work with but so far it seems like all the contrary and it has created the same amount of fragmentation, every project writing their own compositor code, some are more optimized, some support nvida, others not... Around 10 years of wayland development and it still hasnt catch up.

Comment

Let's hope they finally fix https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/1 as well on time for 3.30 - it is hugely annoying too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
              My 144hz monitor is screaming for that 60fps lock on Wayland to go away, but right now I'm stuck with it because x.org instantly freezes when trying to log in after upgrading to x.org 1.20 which forces me to use Wayland, which luckily is working right now. I'm not sure if the 60fps lock is just xwayland or if it affects everything, but it's bloody awful either way.
              It's both a gnome/mutter and a xwayland bug

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                So much saying that wayland would magically fix everything and be more easy to work with but so far it seems like all the contrary and it has created the same amount of fragmentation, every project writing their own compositor code, some are more optimized, some support nvida, others not... Around 10 years of wayland development and it still hasnt catch up.
                I agree. They should've gone with Arcan.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

It's both a gnome/mutter and a xwayland bug
                  https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=781296#c8
                  Just added 'export CLUTTER_DEFAULT_FPS=120' to my ~/.profile. Soo much smoother now

xwayland apps still running at 60fps though.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Just added 'export CLUTTER_DEFAULT_FPS=120' to my ~/.profile. Soo much smoother now

xwayland apps still running at 60fps though.
                    Ah didn't know that was possible
                    But on a wayland session, you probably want to use ~/.config/environment.d/clutter.conf or something. ~/.profile is not run by default but only after you opened a terminal. See https://www.freedesktop.org/software...ronment.d.html

Comment

Working...
                    X